1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

clutch squeal

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by goliath, Jul 24, 2004.

1. goliath

goliath New Member

When I start from a standing stop quickly I hear a squeal from the primary. I sprayed the belt with belt dressing but no luck. No noise happens at any other time. I only have 1200 miles on this bike that I built from scratch. ANy ideas?
  2. fatboyvtwin

fatboyvtwin New Member

The squeal that your hearing may be that the drive belt may be to loose. The other way to find out if the drive belt is to loose is to put the bike in lets say 2nd gear, have the bike running down the road with the rpm's fairly high and then quickly release the throttle, like letting it snap closed, if you hear a high pitch chirp, this will be the indication that the belt is to loose. Be aware that if you over tighten the belt it will cause the rear wheel bearings, or primary bearings to fail over time.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2004
  3. ffflhtcui

ffflhtcui New Member

Hey fatboy, I did that accidentally one time (let the throttle slip out of my hand all of a sudden). My belt didn't squeal.............but my passenger sure did. I tried to re-create that several times after that, to no avail. She was always ready.
  4. goliath

goliath New Member

LOL. thx for the laugh