1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

clutch update

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by bigsean, Jun 23, 2006.

1. bigsean

bigsean New Member

I have a diaphram clutch in my 84 shovel, and want to update to the new style diaphram. Is there anything i need to change other than the mainshaft on the transmission to do this? I have a new,complete clutch assembly. Rverything looks compatable. The only visible difference is the splines on the shaft.
  2. CD

CD Guest

What year clutch? L84-89 should work.
  3. bigsean

bigsean New Member

Was going to try to use an 03 style clutch,but not going to now. Would still like to know if it's doable.:cool:
  4. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

FWIW, I say no. Unless, you have a whole bunch of money.
    Good luck.
  5. CD

CD Guest

Nope, different basket so starter will not align. Different splines also.
  6. bigsean

bigsean New Member

I saw the difference in the spline on the basket,but had not thought of starter.Theoretically i could get the right shaft,but what is the difference with the starter? Mount or is the primary that much different? :confused:
  7. CD

CD Guest

I would like to see you get a 5 speed mainshaft in a 4 speed.....:) Be a work of art for sure! ;)

Anything is possible with enough cubic $$$$.

Let's back up a little...What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Do you have a late model basket you wanted to use? A cracked basket from a tapered shaft model? I know you want to convert to a late model style diaphragm but, I don't know of a way to do it.

You could upgrade to a much better clutch by using a late '84 mainshaft, basket and a Rivera Pro clutch.
  8. bigsean

bigsean New Member

A local wrench did one but he is also an experienced machinest. Was looking through v-twin catalog, and it had a notation in there about the newer clutch working with a 4 speed tranny. Basically wanted to use the clutch basket and clutches because they are a little better design than mine. The similarity in them just gave me the idea to try and convert it. If it isn't possible, and less cost than replacement of OEM than there is no point in it.
    That means I will be giving me a belt drive for Christmas.
    Thanks for the info so far, I am not educated in all areas of the v-twin but enjoy learning and wrenching on them. :cool: