1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Coating Exhaust Pipes

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by gunnysgt, Feb 8, 2005.

1. gunnysgt

gunnysgt New Member

I'm interested in getting a new set of chrome staggered dual exhaust pipes coated black. I haven't decided if they will be flat, satin, or gloss. Will powder coating work on exhaust pipes or is the "ceramic" coating I've heard about the only way to go. If there is another coating other than powder, who does it and how much?
  2. CD

CD Guest

3. gunnysgt

gunnysgt New Member

Thanks, got any educated guess on coating a set of staggered duals?
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I had a local shop do my thunderheader for $100 in flat black, would prefer gloss but they didn't have that as an option, they also have a high temp aluminum color coating like Bassani uses on the 2-1's
  5. gunnysgt

gunnysgt New Member

I checked with my local powder coater today. He said they do make a high temp powder coat but he hasn't tried using it. The standard stuff will cook off he said. I was hoping not to send them out but it looks like I may have to.
  6. CD

CD Guest

You absolutely, positively, unconditionally want to send them to a well qualified shop that does it for a living. Ever see a $500.00 set of Thunderheaders with almost all of the supposedly high temp color matching powder coat all cracked off? Serious ouch and the owner was not happy :mad: when the painter would not make good on the mistake.

The ones I listed do this for a living, have good reps and know what they are doing.
  7. hotroadking

e-mailed HPC they got right back, basically $120 for my bassanis plus $40-$50 to clean them of chrome (which they don't have so I'm waiting on a reply on that)

Plus shipping probably take two weeks including shipping.

The local guy I used does that stuff for construction equipment and had several pieces in the lot. Looked good, HPC black is semi gloss, I may go with the aluminum coating.
  8. gunnysgt

gunnysgt New Member

So HPC wanted around $170 to do the pipes if they were chrome?
  9. hotroadking

Right,

You should e-mail them and tell them what pipes you have it could me more if you're doing a whole bagger system or a big 2-1 my bassani's are shorty drag style 3 step header racin' pipes lOL