1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Coca Cola Rules

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, May 17, 2010.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Got a buddy that ain't worked in a while.

He had a job interview with Coca Cola.
    When he came in to fill out a appication they told him he would have to shave his beard and mustash.
    And you can't wear long hair either.

That a hair might git in a soft drink.
    Then they told him he couldn't smoke.
    He said where here at work, or in the office or what.
    They said anywhere anytime.
    He asked, so your sayin I can't even smoke at home.
    They said correct. Or Insurance company gives us better rates if non of out employees smoke so we drug test for nicoten.
    So yer not allowed to smoke anywhere and work for Coke,and you drug test for smokin cigarette.
    Correct.
    He said I don't think I can work for Coke you want too much control over people that work for you even when they are on their own time.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

and the point is????????????
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

iIve seen a lot of there employees smoke cig's on the job & off , when I still had my last Big rig we carried a lot to & from there docks all over 4-5 states
  4. Panthera

Panthera New Member

part of the socialization of America. Some states have laws preventing discrimination for legal behavior, but not all. With the new Obama care, more and more things will get restricted since it might cause health costs to go up.
  5. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Was talkin to somebody that worked at a hospital
    and this is going to be for all the new employees that start at the hospital too
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Lot of companies do it won't be long before it will exclude any activity outside of work that is "dangerous" ie skydiving, cliff diving, motorcycle riding, racing, horseback riding, etc. They have already tried to exclude those activities and congress prohibited insurers from doing it, but, I'm not sure the prohibitions can't be in place by the employer.

With Obamacares forced Health Care purchases on the horizon
    the people being forced to buy it get to set the rules, they are
    writing the check they get to make the rules

You don't get it both ways, your healthcare free, paid for by everyone
    and get to sit there 100 pounds overweight, smoking cigarettes and watching
    captain kangaroo..

I can see where a 'basic' healthcare package is offered that is Major medical only, no coverage for doctor visits, no prescriptions nothing extra, you pay it out of pocket, (like HSA) which will drop the company fees.

It's the way it used to be before "universal health care" and co-pays and HMO's...
  7. plumbertom

plumbertom Active Member

Makes me glad I'm out of the job market.
    If any company wanted to employ me they would have to take my word that I do not use prohibited substances as I would refuse to submit to a drug test (even though I quit using drugs more than 20 years ago) on the grounds that it was too invasive. If they couldn't accept that then F@#k them. If an employer doesn't trust me to tell the truth then they aren't gonna trust me not to steal from them.
    I don't trust a company that doesn't trust me. They are probably looking for some way to screw their employees out of what they have agreed to.
    I always had a very high market demand for my skill level so I could make such choices.
    In the worst case I could market my skills direct to the public being a state licensed contractor. I just didn't like being my own boss, the employee was to hard to get along with.
  8. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I hate to say it Plumbertom, but you are taking these rules totally the wrong way. You say you are the best. I believe you. You say you are trustworthy. I believe you. you say you don't take drugs, I believe you. But, these rules ain't about you! They are about the other guy who falls down drunk on the job, cracks his knee and is out on disability which in turn raises YOUR health care costs and YOUR workman's comp charges and eventually YOUR taxes. So take the drug tests and stay healthy and do it for YOU and do it with pride.

Just like Cardboard and his hate for the association fee... IT AINT ABOUT HIM! IT'S ABOUT THE SLUGS IN SOCIETY THAT RUIN IT FOR THE REST OF US!
  9. plumbertom

plumbertom Active Member

No, you don't understand my position on this.
    I don't give a damn about what they do with the other employees. If they want me to work for them they are just gonna have to deal with my attitude.
    One of the biggest things is I won't stand for my personal or professional integrity to be questioned.
    My last employer made plenty of allowances for my idiosyncrasies. Lots of things I wouldn't do that were expected of other employees. Like working the on call service, which I wouldn't do and refusing to work 10-11 hours a day like all the other guys or working weekends.
    This was no one horse operation either, it's the largest independent plumbing contractor in the O.C.
    In fact I provided training for many of his current service techs.
    Yet when I was injured and became no longer able to work he still begged me to come back and offered an assistant to do all the heavy work so I wouldn't have to exert myself. I turned him down not because his offer wasn't generous enough, but because of the nature of the business which would require me to crawl under houses and into attics and other places to see first hand what the problems are and how to best go about curing them. That was something I was no longer able to do.
    Still he paid quite well me to teach several classes on different subjects over the next year and still consults me at times about issues he has to deal with.
    He eventually replaced me but had to hire three different tradesmen to cover my range of skills.
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't have an issue with PT's ideals
    the fact is he can demand what he wants
    and the employer will send him on...

Or he will form his own company
    and be a contractor, not subject to the
    company whims, only by contract...

However if PT wants to work for
    Charlies company, he will do what
    they say or he won't work there.

His choice, they will not make
    exceptions because to do so will
    invite a lawsuit on discrimination

It's the way the dems like to run the
    world, we have to Nov to change it
    though...

I doubt we'll get rid of the damage
    Obama's done to the healthcare
    without a medical provider
    revolution...
  11. plumbertom

plumbertom Active Member

This is one of the reasons I have always despised collective bargaining.
    I've always been of the opinion that a person should be able to sell his services for their market value. I've always done so.
    To buy into an organization that will provide the same remuneration for my skill level as someone who has not taken the time and effort to become the best at what they do is to sell yourself short.
    My belief is that you should never pass up the chance to learn a new technology or acquire the ability to apply new skills as long as you are working for an employer that can make use of those skills.
    It has made me near indispensable to my employers. Plus allowed me to have my choice of jobs if I felt I needed a change.
  12. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I agree that we have the right to choose to work for CocaCola or not to. We have the right to choose to buy into an association or not to. And we have the right to bitch about it too.:D
  13. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

My job required me to crawl under houses, up in the attic's, up on the roofs. Wished I could retire and draw a retirement. Nope, I get to keep on going but one thing for sure I answer to myself, no boss except for me and that's the hardest boss to work for.