1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Coil Problems? or ?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by rugerspecial, Jun 15, 2004.

1. rugerspecial

rugerspecial New Member

Question, I have a 82 FLH. Shovel with 4 speed. Anyway, heres my problem. After riding at highway speeds and I get back to town or just putting around town. The motor starts to miss something fierce, and eventually will quit. Now after I let it sit for 10-15 min. The bugger will fire right up and run fine. I have no problems with it riding down th highway. Just when the motor is good and warm and putting around town or so. Thanks and any help is great.
  2. stroker103

stroker103 New Member

coil problems ?

Naah, sounds like to much compression, starts OK after chill down, right?
    try a couple of comp release valves.
  3. ffflhtcui

ffflhtcui New Member

Huh? Flew over my head.
  4. dutch

dutch New Member

Coil Problems

Try starting bike up cold then use hair dryer or electric heat gun on ignition components if it is heat related that should cause the problem to show itself.Dutch
  5. evomike

evomike New Member

Same thing

I have an '85 electraglide with the exact same problem. If it wasn't for the yr/model, I wrote the question myself. I replaced ignition parts with the exception of the module. I ride without my spot/driving lights. That toggle switch will kill the bike when it acts up. Replaced it but didn't resolve the problem. Were you able to find a solution.
  6. HD Dragon Slayer

HD Dragon Slayer New Member

Sounds like the module to me. There isn't very many things on a shovel ignition system. I've just recently replaced a couple of modules that were acting up only on occation. This blew out my old theory that when they go,they go out.
    Good luck.
  7. Johnny O.

Johnny O. New Member

Could be the coil. They can work fine when cool but short out when hot. That was the problem with my buddy’s Pan.
  8. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Two-Cents

Check the coil.
  9. SkyKing

SkyKing New Member

Coil may be problem, but my experience with coils has been that a bad one works fine when cool, but quits altogether when it gets hot.
  10. CD

CD Guest

There is a term "hot coil" that is used to refer to a coil failing when hot. I have experienced a few of these on vehicles over the years. One trapped me in a wash when the thing would fail on every down hill and got hot enough to fail for good.

With newer solid coils without oil for cooling hot coils are less likely but can still happen. So, like you say it opens when hot and closes after cool down and is easy to check with a can of "air" turned upside down and squirted on it.

The second generation V-Fire ignition modules would still fail frequently and can be tested the same way.

Next time this happens, pull over to the side of the road and use a can of duster or "canned air" and squirt it upsdie down on the coil. If the bike fires right up, there is the problem.

I would be suspicous of three things.

Pick up sensor in the nose cone
    Ignition module
    Coil

Tested one at a time, you should be able to isolate the problem.