1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Colorado Fires

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FLHTbiker, Mar 27, 2012.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

How close is this fire in Colorado to you Colorado boys?
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Boys & lady , Abby is there also :)
  3. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Thanks Cowboy!

Not far. I'm teaching a basic rider course on the west side of Denver today, and the office was worried that we might have lost some students because of the fire. Everyone showed, and I can't see smoke, so it must be a bit more south.
  4. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Fires are about 100 miles north and east of here, so our air is still clear since the winds always blow east-ward. Sickening part of this story is that the Forest Service STARTED this fire as a "controlled burn" to get rid of dead undergrowth. High winds over 100 mph came up and took over spreading it out of control. Now, many homes are burned-up and several people dead.

A couple days before the fire, they had the Forest Service on the news showing off their new airplane water tankers they just got for this purpose. They bragged "Now, when a fire starts, we can snuff it out quickly before it spreads". Somebody forgot to tell them that they can't fly those big planes low in the mountains, especially when wind is blowing. Unfortunately, those planes sat on the ground until fire got totally out of control. Burning for a week and 0% contained.

Now, who do you think gets to pay for this major level of stupidity???
  5. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Good Ol govenment numbnuts running things again. What til they get to decide what kind of health care we get in our old age. Remember "Soylent Green"?
  6. FLHTbiker

Sorry Abby :(
  7. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

What Fires,
    Guess I'd better watch the news. Haven't had the TV or radio on in the past 4 or 5 days.
  8. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

No apology needed! :D I've been scarce lately.

I didn't realize that was how it started. And with all the high winds we've been having lately? That's not a risk I would have taken.
  9. FLHTbiker

Well I wished I could send you guys all of our rain were getting :D. Then we could ride in sunny weather. :)
  10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i hear the controlled burn was supposed to be out..............but it wasnt, then the winds got a hold of it...........hmmmm
  11. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Government goofballs goofing up again.
  12. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

not again but STILL :banghead:
  13. alex the dog

Yea, some of your rain would be real good right now FLHT. Heck, we haven't had any snow for so long, I'm wondering what happened to our climate. All we get is cold wind from the northwest these last 2 winters. Although right now it's been in the 70's for last 2 weeks, which is crazy. Supposed to be our snowiest month.

I keep thinking about the Winter of 2004. It snowed 4' in one day here in town on May 13. Temperatures were warm, so the snow all melted in about 3 days.
  14. alex the dog

What fires??? Biggest fire in recent history. But it's about 100 miles north and west of you in Conifer. It's not even summer yet, and fires all over.

After all the fires of the last few years, I'm wondering what there is to burn.
  15. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Some farmer across the road keeps burning his field. Not a good time. Last night the fire department was out, and today he's burning again. Of course out here, there isn't all that much to burn.
  16. bguillory66

bguillory66 Active Member

Man that scares me..specially if the guy doing it in high wind and dry conditions. My brother-in-law just about lost his camp, and did loose quite a few trees because of a neighbor doing the same thing. Some people just don't think:banghead:
  17. FLHTbiker

I think you guys maybe in for a bad fire season, stay close to home.