1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Comp Nut and Sproket

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 5, 2012.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I hear a lot there are issues with comp nuts and sprockets. What is causing these to fail so much? Is it poor oiling or just bad design? I am not having any issues, just trying to understand.

What years were the worst for TC engines for comp nut and sprocket failures? What is so different with the SE versions over the stock ones?
  2. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

if you look at a SE comp.next to the stock comp. you'd say "what a piece of crop the stock one is". I put a SE comp on mine while goin through my tranny woes,just because the old one was off anyway. I notice starting I dont get that false start kicking back thingy I would get when the engine was hot any more. I'm told all the new 103s come with the SE comp.
  3. JohnnyBiker

Just changing the comp got rid of that kickback?:confused:

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
  4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Johnny just has money burnin holes in his pockets.:roflmao:
  5. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Gets it off his money tree growin in the backyard!:roflmao:
  6. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Seems as though it did.
  7. JohnnyBiker

Interesting... I have no need to do it, jsut wondering what the issue's are with them. I read a lot of stuff on them from people on HTT saying that they have gone bad. I have never looked at the one on my TC. Thanks Charlie46.:cool:
  8. JohnnyBiker

No money...:mad::( Just bought a house..:D
  9. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

the comp and nut we have have no issues its the 2005 . and the 2009 and up . the 05 the nut was machined to long about 0.42 so it would snug and not torque down on the crank and stator shaft and knock with the crank rocking back and fourth at idle and just off idle . you chuck it up on the mill and take 0.30 -0.40 off and you were good to go some guys just over torque the chit out of them and strech the threds other shim them .
  10. baggerpaul

comp is conected to the primary chain primary chain is conected to the clutch hub. starter turns the clutch hub will turn primary chain. will turn the crank. comp has slop starter kicks back. got it!
  11. JohnnyBiker

Yeah I got it. I knew how it went on and what its function is but never knew that they had machined it wrong. Now that is good information. Thank You.:cool:

Seems like the early bikes were built better...:rolleyes: Why didn't HD recall them for the correct length nut? I saw that they issued a MEMO to dealers instructing them on how to handle the issue. M-1170 or something?
  12. baggerpaul

ya they said to shim the front of the comp nut and torque the crap out of it . torque to spec and then another 90 deg sounds like were streching the nut to me ! . i say machine some off to clamping force then torque to spec . whatcha think ?
  13. JohnnyBiker

I think remake, recall, and replace. I would be pissed!!!:banghead::banghead: I read that M-1170 on a different site and you are right, they said to to torque and then another 90* after that...:banghead::banghead:
  14. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Seems like What. Comon Man............
    The New 11 And newer bikes are build better. They increased the pressure that they press the crank shafts together.
    Got better Oil pumps and better cam chain tensioners.
    Not to mention they come from the factory with 103 motors that produce more HP and torque.
    And they got better heads from the factory.
    And they got better frames
    Seems like What.........:gah: