1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Compression on a 2006 1200 sport/roadster?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by REDHEAD, Jul 29, 2009.

1. REDHEAD

REDHEAD New Member

Just wondered what the static compression should be on a 2006 roadster model 1200 sportster.... all is stock from HD..... can't seem to find any # specs.... The roadster has all the HOT right from the factory....

I noticed a drop in powerband so i figure with 39000 on the bike a compression ck is logical.... I KNOW pressures within a couple of pounds on the cyl's are normal..... BUT what is the cyl pressure # to start with...... too hot here in wash. to check right now ..... maybe tonight .... OFF to ride my 2000 twin-cam 570 gear drive (HOT) 6 speed.......

thanks for the help on this matter.....

another topic:

A friend bot a 2009 roadglide.... UN LUCKY on the draw, his was one that had the WHINE n CLATTER in first and fifth(straight cut gears).... I sold him a quart of REDLINE SHOCKPROOF HEAVY...... whine and noise gone..... HE is really a happy camper now.....I know the dealer and asked them WHY they didn't tell him HOW to lessen the noise..... DUMB LOOK ON THEIR FACES need I say more?

syn3 in all holes is a SIN

(remember BAKER 6 spd. only would warranty their tranny if RED was used)

I'n not trying to sell REDLINE it sells its self,,,, but wanting to have happier HD riders...

MY built 2000 has had many up-grades incl'd 6 speed.... REDLINE just makes it BETTER

signed....REDHEAD

THANKS for your ALWAYS good comments-help to fellow repair monkeys.....
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

just guessing but I'd say around 160 ish in both...cold, throttle open air cleaner off..

art may know better he's the sporty guru...
  3. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

I haven't done a compression test on an '04-up Sportster, but the factory stated static (mechanical) compression ratio (CR) for your bike is 9.7:1.

Calculating with bore, stroke, rod length, static CR & intake valve "closing event" with the W grind cams your bike came with, @ 1000' above sea level your dynamic CR is 9.17:1 & cranking pressure should be 189.54 psi. That's theoretical & I wouldn't expect to see much more than 175-180 psi.

Better to do a "leakdown" test & here's a little Wikipedia article about it:
    Leak-down tester - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A leakdown test will tell you a lot more than a standard compression test because while cranking pressure may build up just fine, it may not hold very long, due to worn piston rings, valves that don't seal to the seat properly, etc. If you're loosing cylinder pressure, a leakdown test can tell you where it's going - past the rings, out an intake or exhaust valve, etc. Up to a 15% loss is considered "acceptable" in a Sportster engine, but really more than 5% says something's not right.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009