1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Compression release

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Fossilhog, May 25, 2004.

1. Fossilhog

Fossilhog New Member

I'm running a Rev tech 100 in my 94 Heritage. Been thru the 2000 mile break in period and switched to synthetic. First start up of the day still seems to stress the starter a bit. Anyone have thoughts about compression relsases? I see the heads are set up on the right side with plug holes but I can't for the life of me see poking my fingers thru the pushrods to set the compression releases, especially when its a bit warm.
  2. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

Sorry for the late post, I just joined. A friend of mine has a custom built Softail style bike with the same 100" Revtech. I have been told that the newer engines now come through with the compression relief valves already in them. However, I had to install them on my friends bike. His is a 2000'. He ended up eating a starter drive after about 5200 miles. It starts much easier now and it isn't that tough to push them in even when the motor is hot. They stick out enough that it's not a problem unless your really not paying attention. They cost around $100 bucks, it it seems worth it to me.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Compression releases are a good thing for larger displacement motors especially on hot restarts, thats usually where you get pre-ignition from the heat in the cylinder on the fresh gas and the motors kicks back.

You'll get used to pushing the buttons it's not that bad.

Other things to look into are better battery cables, get some higher performance cables for more power to the starter, also check the ground make sure you have a good metal to metal contact, sometime the star washers don't dig through powdercoat and you dont get a good ground. Take a dremel or blade and scrape off paint/powdercoat where you go to the frame.

Also you can get a separate ground strap and run it directly to the frame like FL models do for extra protection, and also get a battery tender plus to keep the battery at peak charge.

Tips on starting a big inch motor when hot is to not touch the throttle, let it crank over before you add any gas reduces the problem.

Cold starts, another option at least on TC motors and you'd have to check with my Crane HI-4tc I can delay intial spark for two revolutions, if you can do that it allows the motor to begin to spin before it sparks.
  4. Fossilhog

Fossilhog New Member

No Releases available

Ok here's what I found out.....I went to Creative Cycles in Wall, N.J. where I had the work done and asked about the compression releases. The owner, Doug, called Drag Specialties and was told that they were discontinued. In the last few years CCI had too many complaints about the releases, mainly because people didn't push the blue buttons (DUH) so they discontinued installing, selling and making the adapters available. From the looks of the parts list, the adapters seem to extend the releases where you could reach them thru the pushrod covers. Also the addition would void the warranty. My engine is a 2003 and they claim the EV38 cam overlap is enough to provide easier starting. It starts better and easier now with 2500 miles on it but I can just feel the starter drive on its way soon.
  5. hotroadking

Check your battery and get a set of good battery cables on the bike, something that will make the power get to the starter better.

Check the ground connection so that it's getting to bare metal, and get a better battery one with more cold cranking amps than stock.

How longs the warranty on the motor, if it's drilled for compression releases you should be able to find replacements for the setup, just put one of those sticky clear P-touch labels on the inside of the key cover that says
    "Push blue buttons"
    or "Comp Releases"

Something to remind you.

As far as warranty goes, they cannot void your warranty because you put in the compression releases, they can deny your claim if they can prove that the releases caused the damage, that's the magnusson moss act. Call them back and ask them why compression releases would void the warranty and how they believe that would work when the FTC says they'd have to proove the releases caused a failure.
  6. ffflhtcui

ffflhtcui New Member

7. Fossilhog

Fossilhog New Member

8. hotroadking

Thats good sent you a PM check your messages.
  9. goliath

goliath New Member

compression releases work!

I have the same 100" engine in my custom. IT already ate a starter. I bought a pair and installed the mysellf. I had to remove the push rod tubes to get my ratchet in there but it was well worth the trouble.
  10. trooper2481

trooper2481 New Member

Maxpower,
    Can you tell me where your friend bought the compression releases. I need a set for the 100" Rev-Tech motor. Actually the "older" Rev-Tech's came through with the releases while the "newer" ones come through drilled, but plugged. See my latest post requesting info on compression releases. trooper2481
  11. buckbl

buckbl New Member

This is in reply to all of you out there with the Rev-
    Tech 100 inch engines and having problems with initial start up. We had to rewing our sarter and it still really pulls down the system when you first hit the starter. Once the beast is hot it isnt much of a problem. But cold starts really are hard on the battery etc. I found a company in California called Sputhe Engineering which have releases for $61.00. These are 11mm threads. The right side ports in the rev tech are 12mm. They will machine a brass adapter to fit the releases and the threaded port. I just put them in mine and it isnt a big deal. You need a 7/16 thin wall deep socket and a 3/8 drive rachet. I had to remove the rocker cover on the front cylinder but it is spring loaded and not hard to remove. Cost me with the socket 128.00. Good luck

Bruce Buckley
  12. buckbl

buckbl New Member

compression releases REv Tech

These can be found at www.sputhe.com Phone (530) 268-0887

Bruce
  13. Seahag

Seahag New Member

New style compression release

For those of us who's heads are not already set up for compression releases there is this new product from Spyke: http://www.mcadvantages.com/HTM/Carb/Spyke_CompR.htm

I like the look and if I can ever find out how much they cost and where to get them, I may buy a set. Does anyone know any more about them?
  14. mirweeks

mirweeks New Member

Compression Releases, Rev Tech Motors

I installed a set of compression releses on my rev tech 100 motor, I bought
    these from Vulcan Works, they are made from stainless steel and look just
    like the spark plug that would have been used if I was running dual plugs.
    My custom chrome rep told me that these were the hot ticket for this motor, and he was right, they work flawlessly. I ordered these from thier
    web store at spam.
    I emailed them for some info & they said the releases with the blue caps,
    which they also make, are made for 2 strokes and will stick when used on
    4 stroke motors. If you have a REV TECH motor try these, you will love
    them
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2006
  15. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

The releases we got were simply ordered through the local indy dealer right in town. I'm not sure exactly where he got them but they came in the next day so I have to guess it was fairly local.
  16. Fossilhog

Fossilhog New Member

I got Em

Got the compression releases from Vulcan works. I actually found them on Ebay..problem solved. Just a word about the Rev Tech 100. I have over 5500 miles on the engine and the clicks and ticks are finally disappearing. I started having excessive valve train noise around 2500 but a few oil changes later its much better. BTW I'm using Bel Ray synthetic 10-60