1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Conceal and Carry Rules??

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Dec 17, 2012.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Hey guys. Listen, I am going to be taking a motorcycle trip this coming summer and I have given it a lot of thought that I want to have a piece with me.

My question is, if I have a Conceal Carry permit issued by the state of Minnesota, am I allowed to Conceal Carry in the states that I pass through? the states that I will passing through will be South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, California, New Mexico, Texas, Missouri, and Iowa. I am not expecting precise answers but a really good idea of what it is that I can expect.

Thanks.
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

JB, here is a link to the states and what other states reciprocate.
    I also got the Utah and the AZ conceled which then covers most of the states. Calif. is a whole other breed, better call them to find out what to do because you do not want to be nailed in CA with a loaded gun. Anyway here is a map of the states and which states recepicate with them.

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry
  3. JohnnyBiker

Thanks. By the way that it looks California will be the one state to where I would have to lock it up nice and tight. I agree, for California, it would be a good idea to call and see if I can even get away with that. LOL
  4. FLHTbiker

Your welcome.

I have to cross part of Calif many times going into Nevada but very seldom go deep into Calif. The AZ permit gives me Nevada where my Oregon and Utah does not.
    Wished one permit would be good for all.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

JB California is a gun minefield,
    so be sure to KNOW the rules.

Jail won't be a good part of the trip.
  6. JohnnyBiker

Ok a long time ago someone here on this forum posted a video of a gentleman who was carrying a gun and he refused to show the police his paperwork. The catch to this was is that there was some sort of law that forbade the officer to do so with sufficient probable cause to search his paper work. I am not talking about illegal search and seizure. the legislation that I am speaking was specifically intended for gun owners. Does anyone remember what this law was? If I remember right, I believe it was CB that posted the link.

Thanks.
  7. hotroadking

JB go back to the link, every state is different on the requirements
    to notify.

My suggestion is that if pulled over, stay on the bike, keep your
    hands on the bars, do not remove them until the officer gives you
    the ok, if the state requires you to notify, then do so, be sure you have
    your CWP or CCP with you, know the laws.

If the state says you cannot carry, then be sure to put the gun in a case
    unloaded in one bag and the ammo in the other bag.

I doubt other than CA that you'll have much in the way of
    problem states regarding having it with you.

Do you have your carry permit?
    If not get it before you go.... Your rules are different than
    just having it with you in the bike, and frankly if you can't carry it
    on you leave it at home, by the time you get off the bike
    open the bag, load the gun it's over... Just hand the guy
    your wallet..
  8. FLHTbiker

The guy was walking down the street with a gun in a holster in plain site. A citizen saw it and called the police saying there is a man with a gun. well you know what that does and especially now. The state where he was from has the open carry law however it is unusual to see someone carry openly like that. Even here in Oregon which is also a open carry state I would not do it as it just invites a overly enthusiastic e cope to stop you. Just not a good idea. They could not do anything to him because it was a open carry state and he was within his rights. With all what has been going on I would not recommend it. For traveling like your going to do Like I posted I would get your state and then look at AZ and Utah also. If you take a class take one that also offers multiple states.
  9. hotroadking

Actually you'll have problems in more states

Your Permit is not honored in the following states:

Alabama, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Guam, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, New York City, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Virgin Islands, Washington, West Virginia, American Samoa, Illinois, N. Mariana Islands

A Utah Non Resident won't help you either because CA, NV, OR, WA, CO, KS, NM all do not recognize the non resident UT permit.

In fact like NY, CA and OR recognize no other states permits.
  10. FLHTbiker

That's why I was trying to explain to him to get the multi state ones that cover all the states where he is going to be going. I picked up Oregon, Utah and AZ which gives me the major portion of states for coverage. Oregon does not accept any other state but you can go on line and get it, go figure.
    Calif. best to just lock it up when traveling through there.
  11. JohnnyBiker

Gentleman, I understand and am aware of what states will honor my CCW permit and what states won't. That wasn't the purpose for asking my last question.

FLHT, yes, that is exactly the video that it I was thinking of. What was the specific law that he was quoting in that video that basically told the police officer to piss off because he couldn't (the officer) just stop that citizen just for the fact alone that he was "open carrying?" Was it just plain and simply the fact that he was "legally" able to "open carry?" II remember correctly, he was quoting a specific law. That is what I was inquiring about. I have absolutely no interest in carrying a gun openly.
  12. FLHTbiker

We was just trying to help you when on your trip with certain info.

The law says it was legal to carry openly and the cops did not have the right to ask for a concealed permit because the law said you do not have to have one to carry openly. Those cops were just harassing him because he did have a firearm in plain sight and it made them nervous.
    If you have no interest in carrying openly (which is probably best) then just carry your permit with you at all times and if pulled over do what the cops says. Most states do not require you to even give your permit to the cop when stopped, but you need to which one do.
  13. JohnnyBiker

I know that you guys are.

Here is another question. If I am concealing on my person and cop happens to see an image that resembles an image of a gun, does he have the right to stop me and ask for paperwork even in a state that DOES NOT REQUIRE ME TO INFORM THE OFFICER THAT I AM CONCEALING AND CARRYING? Forgive the bold caps but I wanted to emphasize that information...
  14. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Took me at least 5 hours. If you want a Springfield XDM 3.8 compact in HOuston , Good luck.
    Everybody I talked to said it was the number one pistol that everybody wanted.

I finally found somebody that has one. They are 60 miles from me.
    I will get up in the morning and head there. They open at 9.00
    I will own another one.
  15. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Can't remember who posted it but it was in Santa Fe New Mexico
  16. FLHTbiker

After we talked today I was wondering if you would be able to find one with all the rush going on for guns. Hope you make it and get one. I might need to think of an XDM.
  17. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Realize this. There is more than one model XDM

I'm talkin about the XDm 3.8 compact model only.
  18. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

All this red tape over pistols. Why not carry a knife Crocodile Dundee style, or maybe a couple of throwing knives, or all the above? If you're good with them, they could be very effective.
  19. FLHTbiker

We're to old to use knives, besides You Never Bring A Knife To A Gun Fight :D
  20. hotroadking

In some states a knife like that is a concealed weapon,
    so you still need a permit..

I prefer to send small brass projectiles..

cb try budsgunshop.com