1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Contemplating....

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Sep 15, 2015.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

On selling all my bikes and not replacing them. No firm decision as of yet but it is gaining steam.
  2. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

JohnnyB.....i'd think not replacing them through. I can see selling them and considering somthing brand spanking new. And then consider not messing with the factory performance settings. Instead enjoying years of trouble free ownership? Most motorcyclist seem to go thru phases. One of the phases is beefing up the motor,carb, exhaust etc... Then after years of PITA stuff the buy new,stay stock and ride the chit out of them. After all isn't thats why we ride motorcycles? To ride?
    HarleysLR and FLHTbiker like this.
  3. JohnnyBiker

I wish it were that simple, but it just isn't.
  4. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I went through it years ago. Life happens and changes must be made. Best of luck to you JB. I hope things work out for the overall good. Try to hang onto ol reliable sporty, just store it. I wish I had kept one in storage but there are priorities!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Roadster guy likes this.
  5. Givrsum

Givrsum Active Member

what trigger'd it jb? people on the roads or just had enough?
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Life is simple we just complicate it.

Good luck with your choice

Keep the nip bike tucked in a corner it'd paid for right?

At least you can sneak out for a few miles after dark so nobody knows lol

7. JohnnyBiker

A lot of different things. As an overall reasoning, getting sick to my stomach with the overall bad designs from the MOCO coupled with the large expense to keep them running, whether in stock form or modified.
  8. Fatboy128

I know that if I were younger or better off financially right now so that I could treat myself to a new bike I think I would do something that I used to say I'd never do. That I "wouldn't own a copy cat bike". That is a V twin design. Now that I've ridden them for a few hundred miles and a son works in a shop for a dealer, I would probably go to Victory. Their engines and bike in general are proving to be bullet proof. Simple and extremely reliable designed engine. I know I'm gonna catch some shirt from a couple of youse guys but it is what it is.
    And, now that I'm at the age I am and living with SS income the Fatboy will be my last bike.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Nothing wrong with Victory but tell me as maybe I'm missing something. If they are so bullet proof then why do they have so many mechanics working in there shop who all seem to be busy during the summer months. They ain't all working snow mobiles.
    I used to sell MAC Tools and one of my stops was the largest Honda shop in the Pacific Northwest. They also sold Yamaha and Kawasaki. The only time they slowed down was when winter hit and the majority stopped riding.

As for Johnny I know a lot of guys who keep their bikes stock and never have to have them worked on. When you push things to their limits they will break. How many times have you had your bike in the shop Fatboy?
  10. Fatboy128

The largest victory dealer in the Phoenix area has two stores and 1 repair tech and 2 assembly techs. They also work on other brands esp Kawasaki. And tons and tons of side by sides. They sell Kawasaki and have 2 techs. The victory tech does a lot of performance mods. I have spent time over the past few years in the shops. Maintenance like tires and oil changes are the most common repair.

11. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

I remember around the time my wife and I talked kids, I went to 4 wheelers instead of street bikes. Then, my daughter born and bills tight, sold all. Took a few years off, now I'm back in the saddle. If you decide to convert your collection to cash, I understand completely. I've been there. I do regret missing out on 6-7 years of riding when I was at my peak of health and reaction time, and would suggest you find an acceptable alternative bike until you clear your mind and refocus. I had to part ways with my Sporty recently for financial reasons in the short term, now on a low mileage CBR 600F4i until my dollars recover and I can purchase a newer Dyna. Not making the mistake I made when I was younger and left myself with no stress reliever. Whatever you choose will be right for you and that is what matters.
  12. hotroadking

JB, remember (and this isn't I told you so) when CB and I were telling you about modding HD engines, and the costs associated with big HP can bite you, we were doing that from experience, I've hot rodded several bikes, when they run they are a hoot, when they don't they are expensive and a PIA. It's just the nature of the beast.

HD doesn't have shortcomings, any more per say than Victory, Kawasakahammonda, but when you do pistons, cams, heads, intake etc etc you can find the weak spots in a component not designed to handle the load. Again the nature of chasing power.

I still have to pull back on my reigns as my 110 is out of warranty and begging for higher compression pistons, some head porting, and tuning, cams, but, I go out press start and ride away, boring, nah I'm riding not wrenching.

Work through it, and hopefully you'll get it straight.

And that applies to FORD, Harley, Snowmobiles, anything you start
    modifications on, you open up pandoras box.
    FLHTbiker likes this.
  13. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Snowmobiles don't need mods to blow up, they do that fine on their own,...JMO! LOL!
    badinfluence63 and JohnnyBiker like this.
  14. JohnnyBiker

Not having money issues or anything remotely close to that. This started creeping on my head after my Glide went down this last time which is why I still haven't fixed it.

My dad went on vacation so I asked him if I could borrow his bike. He did, and you know what, it just sat in my garage, I hardly rode it, I didn't even really have a desire to either.
  15. hotroadking

Just a funk, short term mental block over seeing things
    you like, and put a lot of effort into just not doing what
    they should, normal, like anything a human puts
    effort into that isn't working.

Shidt happens to everyone, it's not how much
    shidt you get on you, it's how well you shrug it
    off and clean yourself up, pull up to the problem
    and solve it...

Think of it as a learning experience, a test of will and convictions.
    Either the situation owns you or you own the situation

Can't never did nothing

Starts right ends right
    starts wrong ends wrong

If my Aunt had balls she'd be my uncle

Dog hadn't stopped to take a shit
    he'd a caught the rabbit.

If you think you can't, you are right....

Suck it up, say Fugg it and get it fixed.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    Lucifer likes this.
  16. JohnnyBiker

Other than being sick as a dog, I have musterd enough ambition to get out in the garage to start putting the Glide back together. Thanks gentleman.
  17. hotroadking

Well get your ass to work and Ketchup..... :D
  18. JohnnyBiker

I'm trying. Lol
  19. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I don't know how you do it Johnny. Man when I'm down sick the last thing I want to do is work on a bike. But the minute I'm feeling better I'd be right out there.
    Have fun with it but be careful when sick it's easy to make mistakes.
  20. hotroadking

Sometimes getting her butt out of bed and doing little things reminds you that life is ok outside

Lucifer and JohnnyBiker like this.