1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Converting 110 ac lights to dc-how to

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by ironchoppermc, Sep 26, 2007.

1. ironchoppermc

ironchoppermc New Member

my wife got a good deal on a bunch of neon rope lights but they are ac,they plug into the wall,they are the exact shape and size of the ones you can put on your bike,is it possible to cut off the chord and run it threw some kind of relay,if anyone knows please let me know how this can be done.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

is there a box in the power line?? also a pic of it may help:)
  3. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

Hey Chuck, that's one heck of an energy drink!
  4. chucktx

yes it is!!!!!!!!!!:)
  5. ironchoppermc

ironchoppermc New Member

no box just a power chord
  6. chucktx

ok....was thinking if there was a box on the cord, it may have been a reducer for the power.....cant help ya any further....maybe someone else will chime in....good luck:)
  7. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

bit cumbersome...BUT...... you can buy AC/DC power converters.....not sure how much they are, or how big are (depends on how much juice you need)..I had something one time that was about the size of a small kids kleenex box that would plug into a car cig lighter and power my laptop.....and a few other appliances (air mattress pump ect).......just a thought if you have saddle bags or something.....leave it "AC" and use the converter box....think I got it at autozone or similar....maybe even wal mart!
  8. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

The DC/AC converter is the only thing I could see having a chance to work. Not sure how well it would work though. It may be worth a try.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Just go to a big truck store they have all kinds of led lights, not too expensive and they are dc ready, and get a switch with an inline fuse, wire it up yourself.

A thought is the lights might already be dc, if it has a large converter on the wire you plug in like on a video camera.

Check the package, see if the manuf has a website or phone number see what they say.