1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cost of living not coming to Seniors

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Oct 26, 2009.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Cost of Living Adjustment...NOT COMING to Seniors

Obama recently approved a 2% salary increase for all federal employees effective January 1, 2010. Members of the executive, legislative and judicial branch are due for an automatic pay increase in January as well.

All this on the backs of seniors who will not incur any COLA increases for several years.

For the first time in history, the Congress will not allow an
    increase in the social security COLA (cost of living adjustment).

In fact, The Henry J.. Kaiser Family Foundation predicts
    there may not be any COLA for the next three years.

However, the per person monthly Medicare insurance premium will be increased from the 2009 premium of $96.40 to
    $104.20 in 2010 and to $120.20 for the year 2011.

Send this to all seniors that you know. Remind them to not
    vote for the incumbent senators and congressmen in the 2010 and the 2012 elections.
  2. CD

CD Guest

Here are more of the specifics;

snopes.com: Social Security COLA Increases

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/03/us/politics/03benefits.html

Actually, this is quite a bit more complicated and being SS disabled I was already told no COLA but NO increase in Part B either. About 75% will not have Part B increases because they are protected by a law which ties Medicare premiums directly to the amount of the COLA. No COLA, no Medicare increases. Those not protected by the law will have the increases you mentioned.

Also, probably no COLA until 2012 or so as you said.

There is also a bill in the Senate that will eliminate the 2010 Medicare rate increase for those not covered. Obama (shockingly) has proposes a $250.00 one time payment to SS recepients for 2010...

The letter was three pages and full of goobly puke.

Part D (prescriptions) are a whole other can of worms... Sure glad I have the VA for that!!!

Of course, being that the Government makes it's own rules on the go.... you never know for sure....
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Thanks you two for the info I'll have to read it , & might have to start going back to the VA for all my needs :gah:
  4. FriendGregory

FriendGregory New Member

While I agree that it is wrong that the Fed take raises at this time, I have taken a job in security making about 1/3 less then what I made 14 months ago. I understand what the SS recipients are feeling but, understand it is tough all over - well, unless you are in government( California has furlo days for most workers and they **tch.)
  5. cardboard

With the salaries that the folks in Washington have, do you think it would hurt them more to not git a cost of living raise or the folks on SS ?

To me its another deal of the rich git richer and just push the SS folks to the corner where you don't see them.
    Why do the folks in Washington need more money ?
    Will they go hungry if they donate their pay raise to SS ? :rant::gah::cussing::angry:
  6. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

I thought I heard the military got a 2.4 which is justified, the rest.......when they are still donating my tax dollars to the pockets of idiots (broad spectrum there) and laying off the working man/woman then there is a definate morles problem I see.
  7. cardboard

Let me refraise this, people over the age of 62 yrs old.
    Someplace Chucktx is gittin real close to. :D

I still got 3 yrs.
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

ya im close, but you will never live to be as old as you look!!!!!!!!!!:roflmao:
  9. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I have been unemployed since Oct. 17, 2008. I've only had 3 job interviews in the past year, I know it is against the law but one guy actual uddered we are looking for someone younger,
    I'll be 62 next week.
  10. cardboard

They probaly don't have a Nap Room !:D
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I went to an interview one time back in the 80's where they had me between the two interviewers so I figured it was going to be a hostile interview. When one asked me how much I wanted to earn, I told him a truthful answer and he cried very loudly that even I don't make that much money. I looked at him and said this is for a sales position and if I can't make 50,000 a year than I can afford to work here so I got up and left leaving them both with their jaws open. :D
    So now I work for myself and earn what I want.
    Its to bad the age factor comes into play but they do it all of the time.
  12. FriendGregory

FriendGregory New Member

I was just hoping to change my luck and open more doors. I have not made this little money in over 20 years. I took and did very well in an EMT class but, there has been a lot of B/S details to actually getting a job. Example, they want a Hepatitis B vaccine up to date and it takes 6 months. So, I took a security job as a Flex Officer. Some places were have been cool, fair pay for the work but, some suck with the silly requirements.
    And I swear, I would have hit the client representative if he had approached me in public the way he did when I came on site.
  13. cardboard

With me just about everwhere I would go to work I would have to work rotating hours and weekends.

The jobs are for nights mainly

What Roating hours and weekends.
    What about gittin to see my OL everynow and then.
    I only git to see her on saturday and sunday.
    The rest of the week she is in Houston.

Man Please !
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  14. FLHTbiker

I worked all kinds of weird shifts when I was younger, grave yard, swing, weekends and sometimes both. I don't do it anymore and if someone wants me to do a home inspection on a Saturday I charge em extra and refuse to work on a Sunday, got to have one day to ride the Harley.
  15. cardboard

Had a Locksmith Business for 19 yrs. I worked mornins before 7:00 am till 10:00pm. Got to eat late. then when the bar crowd went home I was back out.
    I worked as a locksmith for 40 yrs. It was the same thing all the time.
    Think where you can go and what you can't do without keys.

Worked weekends cause the money was good.
    If my wife wanted to see me she had to go on calls with me.
    There wasn't any time for the OL and she never complained.
    I never had time to do anything. didn't have time to eat or sleep cause the phone was ringing.
    Think all that is what caused my High Blood Pressure problems along with all the fast food.
    Think it would screw with my sleepin and I wouldn't git to see the OL, and it would git into my riding time with the OL.

Don't want to go back to that life style on not knowing when I'm workin and when I'm off.
    I will work M-F days only.
    Guess I will keep helpin the Boat Doctor.:gah:
  16. FLHTbiker

I hear ya Cardboard, working for yourself does have drawbacks. When I got out of the military I wanted to go to college and become a high school history teacher but the first wife talked me out of it (she was a elementary teacher) I wished I would have done it. Great retirement, summers off for riding and being able to just retire period.
  17. cardboard

My wife went to College or like 6 yrs, got 2 degrees.
    She is talkin about going back in 3 yrs and gittin her teachin certificate.
    She wants to leave houston and come up here full time and become a Math teacher. She likes the 9 months of workin and the Insurance benefits that a teacher gits. She was plannin on teachin like 10 yrs.

I don't understand how she could put up with the kids.
  18. FLHTbiker

:gah: Went to a job this morning, drove 1 1/2 to get 30 miles due to all the hectic traffic, show up 10 minutes early as usual and nobody else shows. They forgot to call me to cancel as the sale fell apart. The bad part is even if I bill them for my travel time I'll never see it and just piss off the Realtor. Some of these Realtors are worse than high school kids to put up with. :cussing: :banghead:
  19. cardboard

My neighbor is a retired Civil Engineer that retired when he worked at NASA.
    He was tellin me with his goverment healthcare insurance , he pays 1200.00 a month for his health insurance and they have been tolld its going up 44.00 more.
    He's 78 yrs old.
  20. amf4399

amf4399 Active Member

I really hope that when election time comes that we vote all these bozo's out. I can't stand the thought of the same Ole people back in office, Democrat or Republican. They all have lost touch on who they are really working for.