1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cough and sputter

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by wblanton, Jul 5, 2007.

1. wblanton

wblanton New Member

I have a 99' fatboy that is having a problem I was hoping someone could help with. My bike will start and idol fine. If I start out with very little gas it will start off fine. As soon as I give it gas it start to pop, cough, and sputter. If I open the trottle completely it dies completely. I have the original carb and a built carb. I originally thought the built carb was jetted too big and was fouling out the plugs. So I put the factory carb back on and same issue. I checked the fuel for water and found none. Tried new plug wires and same issue. I did the V.O.E.S. test in the service book and it is fine. Does anyone have any other suggestions??

Thanks
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Sound's like eather a bad valve or a real bad intake leak, to ckeck the intake let bike idel & spray WD40 around the both intake's at carb side & jug side if idel goes up there your trouble
    where do get your gas & is it premeum , you can build up deposits on the valves & they wont close right
    :cool:
  3. wblanton

wblanton New Member

Thank you. My next thing well be to check for leak. I only run 93 octane in the bike, and I try to only go to reputable stations, so I don't think it was gas quality. A few people have suggested the air leak. It just seemed strange that the last ride was fine then all of a sudden problems. Thank you for your response. I will let you know if it is a intake / air leak.
  4. Clem

Clem New Member

You are starving for fuel....

Since you are carburated and two different carbs were tried with the same result, look for a blockage in the fuel delivery system. The petcock, any fuel filter inline, or even the petcock intank filter. Sometimes the addition of alcohol in our fuel for emissions reasons will deteriorate and seperate the fuel line inside that will cause a restriction in fuel flow...You have enough fuel flow to idle but demanding more by attempting to rev-up is making the delivery so lean that it cannot run. Pull the fuel line off the carb and let it run into a can to see what the flow looks like....

That's my guess.....!

Bill C.
  5. wblanton

wblanton New Member

Thanks Clem,

I tried that already. I have really good flow. Thank you for relpying though.
  6. Clem

Clem New Member

Then I'm with Cowboy's suggestion as well....It would seem a fuel/air related problem from the "classic" symptom but you very well could have a spark management malfunction. But check as cowboy suggests first....

Bill C.
  7. 2fastnaz

2fastnaz Moderator

When my 78 sporty did that it was an advance problem. (Electronic advance not mechanical)
  8. cowboy

wblanton, you could have just a loose clamp or a pin hole in one or the other intakes or just a gasket not seating right , think easy fix first it cost less in the long run
  9. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

remember big problems usually have small solutions. you mention the plugs fouling might check the timming and seals/gaskets like cowboy said.
  10. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Check these items:
    1. Intake leak
    2. Plugged gas cap vent
    3. Cracked vacuum line
    4. Bad VOES (the service manual test isn't always accurate)
    5. Corroded battery cable
    6. Bad coil
    7. Faulty ignition

I've seen each of these items at one time cause the similar problem described. If you find it to be something else let us know so I can add to this list :D
  11. wblanton

wblanton New Member

Thank You

I would like to thank everyone for your help with this issue. It has been resolved. I still don't understand it but it turned out to be my AIR FILTER!!
    After I replaced the intake rubber and the back plate gasket it was still doing the same thing, so I thought if it would do that with too much air, maybe it would also do it with too little air. So it took the air filter off and went down the road and it ran perfect. The reason I don't understand it is because the air filter looks to be in good shape. It is a K&N and I can see no build up of any kind. I even tried cleaning the filter with K&N filter cleaner and oil. At least I know what it is. A new filter and I am back on the road.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to help a stranger.
  12. cowboy

Good to here your running good again , & please stop be any time & throw your 2cents in the pot , never heard of a K&N being pluged up but that life
  13. SkyKing

SkyKing New Member

It's not uncommon to over-oil the K&N filters. Then it runs rich. Had the same problem. Recleaned and was more conservative with the oil and it ran great.

You fixed it, thouigh, so never mind
  14. wblanton

wblanton New Member

Skyking,

Thanks for the info on the over oiling. I will keep that in mind when my new Big Sucker needs cleaning.