1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cough

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by mark novak, Jun 15, 2004.

1. mark novak

mark novak New Member

I have a new 04 1200 Xl Roadster STILL STOCK and it coughs.The timing is nonadjustable.Is the problem in the carb ?
  2. CD

CD Guest

Welcome to the board and the wonderful EPA world of lean pop. Your bike is EPA mandated lean from the factory and the off idle pop and the decel. pop is caused by it. When you do your Stage I hop up and add a jet kit the pop will go away.
  3. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

Pop

I have yet to see a stock Sportster that doesn't do what your describing. At a minimum I would put Screamin Eagle slip ons and jet the carb. Those things wake right up with aftermarket pipes, new carb and upgraded ignition. The last one I did ran about $950 in parts.I used a Mikuni carb, Revtech pipes, Screamin Eagle ignition module and coil, and a Custom Chrome free flow air cleaner and cover. That was in 1998. May be a few more bucks now but made the bike scream compared to stock. All the stuff can be installed yourself if your handy with a wrench and can read instructions. If your not a hands on person you can expect to pay as much as half of that in installation charges depending on the shop. Good luck.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Check for an intake leak, however it's probably the lean condition all HD's are set pretty lean for EPA reasons.

You can do a stage 1 the best bang for your buck

SE Air Filter Kit
    SE Slip on Pipes (Cycle Shack and Khrome Werks make good slip ons too)
    Rejet the carb

www.nightrider.com has a detailed step by step method of setting up a CV carb. it will show you how to drill out the plate over the air mix screw, and you can see how to tune it.

You need to see what jets or ask what jets come in the stock Sporty Carb then you'd need one size up on pilot (46 or something similar) and a size up on main jet (165 or something similar)

Do one thing at a time. Change the pilot jet, set the Air mix screw ride and see if the problems gone or worse. Then do the main jet to see if the bike performs better.

Not too tough to do. :D
  5. Harleysolo

Harleysolo New Member

Sporty with a cold

I have an 03, 883 from California. Living in Virginia (bikes are still sold here without the smog crap) I took of the evaporative emissions canister and did some basic carb modifications of which took care of the coughing. First thing, all newer Harley's are set lean at the factory at the low end for emissions control, this causes them to cough. You could start by richening the slow jet to at least a .045 - .048, (883's & 1200's have a .042) this will considerably help solve the coughing problem. I would check with your dealer to find out about warranty prior to doing any modifications. I am sure if they do the work, there will be no problem. The next step would be drilling out the plug that covers the idle mixture screw and backing it out to richen up your mixture. Screw it in until it gently seats then back it out 2 1\2 turns, this is a good stating point for fine tuning. This worked out great on my 883, the difference was like night and day! Check out the link below for more details

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd_cv_mods.htm#cv_carb_parts_list

Good luck and ride safe,
    Harleysolo