1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Craftsman Motorcycle/ATV lift

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Devolution, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Devolution

Devolution New Member

A few months ago I bought an 08 FLSTC after selling my 99 Electra Glide. Sears was having a sale so I bought the Craftsman motorcycle/ATV lift only to find out that it doesn't fit under my frame with the bike being so low. I had a lift from Harbor Freight that I think was a little lower but I sold it with the E-Glide. If I remove the rubber pads the lift will fit under the frame but I don't want to scratch up the frame. The only thing that I can think of is coating the arms of the lift with Rino truck bed liner, but this comes in a pretty big can. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can coat the arms with that will prvent scratching the frame?
    Thanks for the help.
  2. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

No thoughts on a coating, but I just run mine up on a couple of 2x6 blocks plus one under the kick stand. All kinds of clearance. If yours is that close, 1 by would probably be enough.
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I have the same lift and on my 09 Ultra I just put a 8 inch 2x4 piece on the floor and ride the bike up on it bringing the rear tire off the ground giving me that extra clearance to slide the jack under. I don't use a block under the front wheel but have added a block under the kick stand.
  4. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Maybe you can you fit some bike inner tube over the lift and get it to fit.
  5. duke76

duke76 New Member

when I had the sears red jack, I just held my bike upright and then was able to slide it under the frame, that was a road king, also worked on my buddies heritage, I sold my buddy the red one and I bought a yeloow craftsman, IMO the yellow one is 100 times better, Todd
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I do the same as duke76 does , on my 03 E Glide & it works just fine
  7. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I do as duke & cowboy, just hold the bike up right and slide it under,
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

My sears red craftsman won't go under the 00 Heritage, so I roll the rear tire up on a 2x6 that is about 3 ft long, I stand on the 2x6 and roll the rear tire up and center it.

Then the lift will go right under with the bike held upright.

My 09 RG is high enough and buddies 07 Ultra both will let the red sears jack go under without the 2x6, has your bike been lowered with shorter shocks like a street glide?
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

My 01 Springer is like that to, way to low so I do the same as you.
  10. Devolution

Devolution New Member

Thanks everyone for the help. Is it possible the 08s frame is lower to the ground?
  11. glenco304

glenco304 New Member

Not sure about the red lift, I have the yellow Al model I had to remove the upper brackets there for ATV 's they popped right off .Then it fit fine underneath 08 Fatboy once you hold the bike up a little
  12. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

it is possible.....either measure and older one, or check the specs on the internet.....they give ground clearances......
  13. Davei91

Davei91 New Member

I had a craftman lift,Hated it, . My wife saw it fly out the garage door from the second floor window,bought a handy air lift table and use it for more than motor cycle repair.