1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Crane FireBall® HI-4E Ignition problem

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by godot, Aug 23, 2004.

1. godot

godot New Member

Hi all.

I am having a problem (more like a mystery) with the Crane FireBall® HI-4E Ignition, and I am hoping someone can help me.

Since I installed the module a couple of months ago, the engine has been pinging under load between 60-70 MPH, front only. Two mechanics have worked on the bike (carburetor, compression, timing, petcock, etc, etc) with little success. Because of this, I re-installed the stock module and the pinging went away. So, I thought that it was a bad module. Called Crane and they replaced it. Today, I installed the new one and the pinging re-appeared, even on the OEM curve with the advance at 0. I took it out and re-re-installed the stock module and the pinging, once again, went away. Called Crane and they have no idea what is going on.

Update
    Had one more mechanic look at the bike, with nothing found. Simply put, this module and my ride are not compatible. The moral of my expensive story is: research, research, research before you spend $$. Especially when dealing with sensitive electronic parts. I for one will stay far away from any Crane electronics.

HELP!!!
    Luis :confused: :confused:
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2004
  2. CD

CD Guest

I just happened to come across this old post while researching another subject.

Why would you blame the ignition? If the timing is the same and the advance is the same for 3 different brands, it would make no difference what you used. From what you described, I would check for an intake leak as it sounds like you are or were running lean.
  3. godot

godot New Member

It actually had nothing to do with the ignition. It was the combination of other factors that were causing the pinging. All is well now, however.

Luis
  4. CD

CD Guest

Turn out to be lean? Bad valve tell me I just am dying to know...;)
    Actually, it will help others understand also.
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yup, that is two of us wanting to know the outcome.....does this mean that you now like crane???????
    chuck
  6. godot

godot New Member

Changed the CAM to an EVL-3040 from Comp Cam, installed 2-1 V&H pipes, and some minor carb adjustments. Bike is running really good now.

Luis