1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Crane h1-4 problem

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by dts, Aug 20, 2007.

1. dts

dts New Member

just installed a new crane hi-4 and crane 8005 coil,and after about 10 min.it will only run on one cylinder.seems after it gets warmed up .any ideas on this ?
  2. fxdxsteve

fxdxsteve Active Member

try putting your old coil back in first thats easier than changing out the ignition. its usually something you just worked on so maybe the ignition is not plugged in all the way I haven't had this problem but I've always been running the stock coil
  3. dts

dts New Member

I would but.. the guy who rents from me decided that he should clean up my shop while I was out and through the damn thing out! what about the main circut breaker and where is it ie; starter cellinoid wire etc..I just thinking that it could be something like that being that I had my starter out so manny times changing my tranny ,belts,sprockets etc...??
  4. fxdxsteve

fxdxsteve Active Member

it pretty muchhas to be something in the ignition system since its running on one cylinder where are you located I have an extra coil also check to make sure your plugs aren't fouled
  5. dts

dts New Member

thanx

thanx for the offer Steve, I think I've found the culprit! went into the nose cone and where the wires enter the module if you push on them the other cylinder kicks in and I'M FIGURING THAT ITS JUST A FAULTY HI-4!,talked to the tec at Crane they'll repace it but being in western Canada it would take a while so I check with the shop that sold it to me and see if they'll step up to the plate! having a go at it with this bike though 1 problem after another this year!!!! guess I shoulda traded up last year!:gah:
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  6. fxdxsteve

fxdxsteve Active Member

my coil wouldn't work for you any way it's a twin cam coil they're less than 1 ohm evo coils are 3 ohm I do have an evo single fire accel coil I can let go cheap
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Check the back of the ignition it has two pickup points, if you are not careful during installation you can bend or break one off.

Also be sure the motor is at TDC with the timing mark in the correct position then install the ignition, if you don't it won't run properly.
  8. ReeseSS

ReeseSS New Member

Just to give you something else to avoid, I was reading some interesting tech info on on some of those aftermarket ignitions, the Crane Hi4 was one of the ones named. The electronic ignition turns off if the system voltage drops below a certian value. The coil is energized as soon as it is turned on. If they turn off due to low voltage during cranking, the coil fires no matter what position the piston is at. Causes damage to the system and the ring gear from kick back. Good news is the make a starter relay that "makes up" for any low voltage and only fires the coil when it should. I am sure there are several brands out there, for reference one JP carries is part # 380-392