1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Crane HI-4 ignition system

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 99 Softail Custom, Oct 13, 2006.

1. 99 Softail Custom

99 Softail Custom New Member

I have a question in ref to the Crane HI-4 ignition kit. I have already put a Crane 306 cam in my bike and I'm trying to get the most out of it. I was trying to find out if the crane HI-4 ignition would makes that big of a difference for the price? Thanks for any assistance.
  2. CD

CD Guest

If you still have the stock ignition module, then the answer is a definitive yes. If you have an SE module installed then it becomes a "somewhat" answer.

What the Crane HI4 and other brands allows you to do is adjust the advance curve to what you want. The advantage of this being that you can run the most aggressive advance curve without pinging. You can set your rev limiter where you want it also.

Generally, the more aggressive the curve, the more power gains. Too much advance and you can get nice holes in your pistons. The trick is too be able to adjust the curve to get the most power.

A stock module has a very safe rev limit and a mild advance curve. The non adjustable boxes like the SE have a somewhat aggressive curve but may not be making the most power or, can be a PITA if you are pinging because you cannot adjust the curve.
  3. 99 Softail Custom

Thanks CD

Thanks CD for the Info. So bascily after installing the Crane HI-4, I should dyno tune my bike as well to set and get the most out of it without running the risk of harming the engine?
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

You'll probably have a starting curve from Crane for it with some recomendations, you don't want to set it at max curve max advance.

You can set a rev limit on it as well.

Dyno tuning is a great way to get the bike setup properly, and you can pay $200 for a good tune.

JMO I would look to the manual and Crane for a good curve and unless you're living at the top of a mountian in Denver, then you'll probably be good out of the box just not maxed out.

If you are planning on cams, heads and big bore in the near future I'd put it in and set it as directed, get my cams and other work done and then dyno it once.

Next what do you know about dynos and getting a bike done, checking an operator etc.
  5. 99 Softail Custom

I've already put the cam in and I have a buddy that has a shop with a dyno machine. I'm eventually going check into a big bore kit. The only problem with that is finding a kit for a 80 inch evo. Most of the ones I've seen are for twin cams, i.e. the one from Harley for the 96 inch or 107 inch :( .
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

For anything over 80 get out the boring maching and you might as well ante up for the S&S cases to get some strength.

However S&S has a 89 inch stroker kit, I read somewhere they use sporty pistons and longer 4 inch flywheels etc might not have to bore out the stock cases as the skirts on the pistons are short.

S&S Kit Go to Page 22
  7. 99 Softail Custom

Thanks

Thanks for the web link and the help HotRoadKing and the assistance.
  8. knuck39

knuck39 New Member

hi-4 8-1100

i need the wiring diagram for this model for my shovel
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member