1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Crank Position Sensor

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jul 9, 2012.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Is it possible that I screwed the Crank Position Sensor up by putting in the new ignition and changing the timing on the ignition? The reason that I ask is that after I put the new ignition in, I noticed that I would get a lot of kickbacks when I went to go start it.

I just started to backfire once in a while upon start up. I also noticed on Sat. a little but I attributed that to the weather and the sttep climbs in elevations, but when we had to rest because a person went down, it started fine there as we left that area. As we got to the hotel, went to go eat and came out to back to the hotel, it would not start. it backfired like crazy, finally I got it going and back to the hotel. Just more of the same the next morning. had to trailor it home...

Do those things just stop working that abruptly? :wtf::angry:
  2. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

yep they do and no there is not possible way you messed up the crank sensor by installing the module . a crank sensor is no more than an ac square wave generator . high low signal sent to the module to fire the plugs . its what we call a hall efect sensor . there is a bunch of equal spaced slots in your crank shaft wheels and then a large space being -bdc -and afdc . as the wheel pases across the magnet a ac current is sent to the solid state module witch then fires the coil.
  3. JohnnyBiker

So then I could either have coil issue or the CKP? I was able to get it going once in the morning but then I shut it down to make sure that I could get it running two times in a row. The second time that I tried is when it was caput.

Here is another question. Why were my plugs so dry? I had it on full choke and even twisted the throttle a few times because at first I thought it wasn't getting fuel. I pulled the plugs and they were bone dry? Wouldn't my plugs be wet from all of the cranking?
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  4. baggerpaul

pull the fuel line put a vacum hose on the pep **** turn the fuel on . pull a vacum on the hose with your mouth fuel should flow if it does not you have a bad pep **** diaphram. and you have an empty fuel bowl thats why the plugs are dry .
  5. JohnnyBiker

Ok, I will siphon and see if anything happens. Then if no fuel draws, there is my problem then huh?
  6. baggerpaul

The pep **** has a vacum shut off valve when the motor shuts down and there is no vacum present a the pep **** the fuel stops flowing . As soon as you start the bike fuel flows as vacum gets replaced . That's why I said to apply vacum to the pep **** and fuel should start to flow with no siphon at the pep **** just gravity alone.
  7. JohnnyBiker

Gottcha. :D We all will get this nailed down my friend. :D
  8. JohnnyBiker

I just got BlackDangerous out of the trailer and into the garage. Tomorrow I will get started on the diagnosis process and see if we can nail this down. I am sure that it is the CKP because of the codes that it was flashing but it is always a good idea to go through the steps. :)
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

CPS is a known problem area, just a sensor so you can replace it.

if you are getting kickback then I'd pull the new ignition and use the stock
    to see if it goes away if when you replace the sensor it still kicks, and that means
    you probably have the wrong curve dialed into it..
  10. JohnnyBiker

Just dotting the I's and crossing the T's. I did back the ignition setting off and put it back to its stock setting. I do expect a little bit of difference in starting considering I advanced the cams a bit.
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

there should not be much of anything with the advance on the cams
    it's not that much, I got zero problems with +4 on two bikes
    one much much much higher compression than you...
  12. JohnnyBiker

Gottcha, that is why I back the timing off for now and I will see how it goes after I get this issue taken care of.
  13. JohnnyBiker

Thanks HRK, Bagger Paul, and Lucifer. Bike is on the road and running well.