1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Crank Position Sensor

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Jun 17, 2015.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I have been doing some reading and one thing that I read that I thought interesting was that it said that if the crank sensor was dirty, it could interfere with timing of the ignition. This makes sense to me. And also makes me curious.

Now I pulled the case plug to look for wet sumping signs and none were present. I.E. there was only less than an ounce and a half that drained out. And I checked it when it was hot. It isn't wet sumping. However, the symptoms that I experienced or am experiencing reminds me of two previous issues that I've had.

1. Reminds me of how my bike acted (felt) when my dumbass put 60 wt. oil in. Lol.
    2. When I had my bike retuned with a second MAP. The second MAP felt very sluggish to me and my fuel mileage suffered. Yes, I did gain a bit more power. Once I reloaded the original MAP, my bike felt like my bike again.

After going through some archives on HTT, most people with Crank Position Sensor issues usually describe an abrupt failure and their bikes would not restart, however not a single one mentioned the possibility of a dirty one.

Just curious what we all think here?
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

The only Crank sensor problem I had was when the rag got left in the bottom end.
    No sign of a problem(spark & timing wise anyway)until the rag beat the end off the sensor,then total failure...That rag was sloshing around the crank and no doubt got on the notches on the flywheel but there was no sign of a misfire.It did cause some drive ability issues when it choked the oil off to the top end though:rolleyes:
    The optical CPS would be the only one I could see acting up because of dirt partially blocking the LED.
    I think you'd have a whole other bunch of problems if there was enough dirt in your bottom end to block the magnetic pulse between the sensor and the flywheel notches...
  4. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

A crank or cam sensor reads the notch or multiple notches on the rotating part and procesed by the ecm. as said by others most times sensor is good or bad. heat expansion will cause a sensor to leave you on the side of the road, most of the time they are accurate as long as no metalic fibers are on the nose .
  5. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

i believe the sensors are magnetic not optical on our scooters, work on cars, lol
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Geezer Glides may have an optical sensor in their CD players....:)
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If you switch out to the SNS IST ignition you don't have to run the CPS,
    and the CPS has been a known problem