1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Crash

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by 2012FLHTK, Oct 27, 2012.

1. 2012FLHTK

2012FLHTK New Member

Last Sunday, hit an oil slick going around a curve. laid her over after the back tire came out from under me. fortunantly the bike got more road rash than i did. insurance adjuster is comming monday, i have full coverage. any advise with dealing with these rats
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

The insurance company may want to give you a quick settlement that may be way under what the bike is worth so don't just settle for anything. Also if they fix the bike have it looked at by a proper bike repair shop so the insurance co. Does not miss a lot of things.
  3. 2012FLHTK

2012FLHTK New Member

the insurance agent has already told me if its fixable it will be done at the same dealership i bought it at
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

That's good, work with the dealer
  5. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Geez so sorry to hear this. Every riders nightmare. Wow!Hope you're all right.

Usually if you have a reputable insurance company frnachises like Liberty mutual, Nationwide and such they deal you right. Its these low ball mom and pop inexpensive companys that have a tendency to screw the pooch. Who do you have?

Imagine you can expect you rates to go up no matter who who have though :( or will this be categorized as an act of God like a deer hitting you or a tree falling?

And go with OEM parts all the way. Repairs can be aftermarket,junk yard pickens or OEM. If given choice of OEM used or aftermarket I'm thinking used OEM is preferred?
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Yep try to work with both the adjuster & dealer , hope you weren't hurt bad
  7. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Do not sign off on repairs until you get some saddleti/me after bike is fixed. I know of 4 guys who found damage and or handling problems after bike was "back to 100 percent"
    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
  8. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

I ALWAYS have my bike or car at the place I want the repair done when the adjuster inspects it. So they can work it out. The repair shop looks for everything and relays that to the adjuster. 3yrs ago I got rear ended on my Streetglide. Had the adjuster inspect it at the HD dealer I bought it from. Aweek after I picked it up I noticed the rear fender was damaged(coudn't see the damage without removing saddle bag). No problem,adjuster cme to my house,took a picture,Mailed me a check for a new fender installed. The Hartford ins co.
  9. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

That sux...Gald your OK and good luck with the Ins. Co.
  10. bguillory66

bguillory66 Active Member

Glad to hear u dodged serious injury.....hope the bike repairs go ok, what side of the bike get the road rash?
  11. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Heal up quick and I hope you have a good insurance company.
  12. 2012FLHTK

2012FLHTK New Member

The only thing i injured was my pride. the rightside of the bike was most damaged, the front fairing, the lower leg fairing, the engine guard, foot pad, both back bags were damaged, and both bag guards bent. , exhaust damage. insurance company is State Farm. The adjuster is comming tomorrow morning. i was able to ride it home, it didnt seem to ride right, not sure if it was because i was shook up over the accident, or if it was actually due to the wreck. What I do know is the fact that God was looking out for me on that day.
  13. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

This is very good advice. If you have a good shop, have it there when adjuster looks at it. Harder to see everything on a bike than a car or truck. Good shop will work with adjuster to make sure all is fixed right. Then good insurance will work with shop. Sorry this happened to you, but it does happen ... if you walked away, then think of it like this. Bikes can be fixed or replaced. You are not replaceable to your family... ;)
  14. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Make sure they double check the frame isn't bent,misaligned.
  15. 2012FLHTK

2012FLHTK New Member

The bike is at the dealer shop as we speak, i took it there today. they are working directly with the adjuster to get it fixed. I went and talked with the dealership for advise, and this is what the shop, the insurance, and i agreed to. This Harley dealership has allways been good to me ( i have bought 3 harleys there so they should be)
  16. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Good deal, likely will turn out good... Good Luck!
  17. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

When I had my accident the HD shop replaced,not repaired, a scratched saddle bag,a scratched outer front fairing,a dented front fender.a slightly bent rear fender. both mufflers(chiped chrome at the tips), a nicked floorboard mount. Basiclly everything that got touched. All parts came new and painted from the factory. I was very pleased with how H-D fixed Oll' 'Do Over'. PS saw another bike there that was in a crash. They replaced the FRAME because the top mount for the crash bars on the frame was twisted a little.