1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

"crash"

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Tiny86, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Tiny86

Tiny86 New Member

My wife was in a crash last Wednesday a 16 year old girl was talking on her CELL PHONE and turned left in front of Gloria on an UN protected green light. Gloria hit her in the front end spun her around into the door the impact broke her pelvis in 5 places no internal injury's at all no head injury's NO she wasn't wearing a helmet and NO she said she will not when she gets back on,she said i don't think they make a pelvic helmet :rant: we got her home on Sunday and she's doing well really sore and bruised up but in good spirits. All her fractures are stable therefore no surgery was required which was a blessing.I have pic's of Gloria's sporty I don't know if I should post them or not the bike is totaled bent everything. I will thank everyone now for there prayers. The girl did have insurance just not enough we have surpassed her policy in 1 hospital in town and 1 care flight to Parkland in Dallas. I do not know whats going to happen now. I will keep everyone informed

Tiny
  2. Slimjim

Slimjim Active Member

I'm very sorry to hear this but it sounds like it could have been much worst. I will keep Gloria in my prayers. Cell phones ought to be outlawed in moving cars....especially with teenagers. They are as dangerous as DUI.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Tiny,
    glad Gloria is doing well,

Did you have insurance, medical, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage?

If so you can claim back against your own policy.

If you have medical bills in excess of your coverage I'd suggest you look into an attorney to find as much money from the girls insurance as possible, even from your own.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

very sorry to hear this....will keep you and your wife in our prayers.....i am glad she wants to climb back on, that is a good thing! take care and give her our best!!!!!!!
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

you can post the pics if you want...........no problem, your call!!! may be a reminder for riders to be xtra carefull......and not get lax.......
  6. Tiny86

Tiny86 New Member

yes I filled on our insurance but mine probably wont be enough either I 'm contacting a lawyer on Monday to see what my options are?????
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to hear about this, hope your wife heals well.
  8. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

Re: "crash" know the feeling

Sorry to hear about your wife. Got mine busted up by a car too 7 years Doctor said that pelvic are the worse and most painful breaks and not much to but let em heal. Heck they found two hip fracutes a month later!!! Takes alot of energy to heal up. but I was back on a bike in a year.4 months to heal bones, 4 months of therapy ( had other brken bones and nerve damage too. But she might change her mind and ride again too. Take care tell her not "what if it" too much and god bless ya both.

Later:cool:
    Voo1
  9. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Wow. Sorry to hear that, but I'm really glad she's going to be OK.
  10. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

You can file a civil suit against a person who causes a crash, but it's best to check the register of deeds office to see if they own a house & do some other "background check" research to see if they can afford to pay. You could win a court judgment to cover what the insurance companies won't, but as the old saying goes, "you can't get blood from a turnip" & if the person doesn't own anything, doesn't have a decent income, and/or is over their head in debt already, you can't collect on the judgment & the only person who comes out ahead is the attorney you hire.

However, insurance companies are not in the business of paying claims - they're in the business of making a profit for themselves & their shareholders, so having an attorney review the case is always a good idea, as they can put more pressure on insurance companies than you & may get a much better settlement than you can on your own. I'm not particularly fond of attorneys, but there are times when it's best to @ least have one look @ the case & give you their opinion of how weak or strong it is.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  11. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

Dude, sorry to hear this... I too will have an extra prayer for you and your's.:)
  12. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Man Please !

Glad yer wife is not hurt any worst than you said.
  13. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Oh man!!! get well soon.....
  14. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

I am so sorry to her about Gloria's misfortune. The Lord can do, and I will pass around her (and your) name to the prayer warriors here and in our ministry. I am glad she has witness of how much she was saved from already. Her suffering will be great enough, but it could have been far worse and I am thankful for you that this event didn't take your wife from you.

Art has some good points. My father owned a business and was forced to sue one client. He won his case and judgement but that is all he got. Getting judgement don't get you anything guaranteed except a lawyer's fee.

While we are at it lets remember this young girl as well. Yes it is easy to be angry with her, but she made a terrible mistake and we all have made mistakes. Largely it is the fault of ignorant law-makers that allow what she was doing to be legal (being underage and driving alone, talking on a cell phone while driving), stupid parents that thinks their 16 year old is mature enough to drive a death trap alone, and all of us for putting those same idiots back in office time and time again. I pray she sees what she did for what it was, tells her friends, and they all become more aware and better members of a driving community.
  15. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

We just found out yesterday that a friend of ours had a semi pull out in front of him last Friday. Hit the back wheel of the tractor first and then head first into the tractor. They figure his half helmet saved his head but the rest ain't so great.

How's your wife doing now.
  16. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Hey Tiny, how's Gloria today?
  17. Tiny86

Tiny86 New Member

Well , all the prayers and well wishes are doing there job, we had a real good day yesterday. I got her in the car and went to have her nails done made her feel a lot better. She is down to 2 pain pills a day instead of 1 every 4 hrs day and night.We go for more x-rays on the 3rd of aug to see how were doing on the bone knitting and when she will able to go back to work she is already getting stir crazy.I went and looked at a possible new scooter on sat 97 fatty 16,000 mi in real good shape was a lady's bike already lowered all the bling bling and things. Glo wants to look at it herself,are going this evening to look at it again . Glo is tough and is hanging in there well at least till those EVIL Physical Therapist:devil: get a hold of her, I haven't hinted as to what she's in for. She probably remembers what I went through in 97 and is trying no to think about it :roflmao: Once again thanks to all the thoughts and prayers from everyone
    and we hope to meet everyone of you and personally tell you thanks from or hearts

Tiny
  18. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Glad to hear she's doing better. So sorry she was hurt in the first place. We all hope she continues to recover and can get back to living the life she wants as soon as possible.
  19. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Sorry to hear all this. I hope folks recover quickly.
  20. drillsarge

drillsarge Active Member

God bless and best wishes for a speedy recovery. Physical therapists are evil but she may get a good one like I had that will listen to her and not the book.