1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Crazy Colorado stuff

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Hot01, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Sometimes I miss New Hampshire. Live Free or Die! Things I love about NH: no sales tax, no income tax, no stupid s&*t that comes up at the DMV...

So I went to get my license and register my vehicles today. Same building but different offices - different worlds. The lady at the driver's license office was very nice. She asked about my motorcycle endorsement and I told her I was a RiderCoach and she seemed very happy about that. Except for the photograph which I always hate, it was a good experience.

Then I went to the registration office. :banghead: I discovered this morning that I never got permanent insurance cards, so I brought the whole policy with me. Seems that the actual policy is not good enough. You have to have the card that represents the policy. OK. I knew I wasn't going to get my bike registered because you have to have form that says that a cop or a dealership has verified the VIN. Doesn't matter that I have the title, the old registration, the insurance card and 7 years of photographs (I think I have more pics of my bike than my kid). She said I needed to bring it in. Yeah. I haven't seen asphalt in Summit County in over 2 months. I told her it was in Denver in storage. Now she tells me I'll need to register it in Denver. :wtf: She proceeds to tell me I'll be riding it more in Denver than I will up here.

1. I hope not. I didn't move to Colorado to ride my motorcycle in Denver. I moved here to ride in the mountains.

2. Who the f&*k is she to tell me where I'll be riding my motorcycle?

We went back and forth over the fact that I live here and my bike will be here and then she tells me I'll have to change the address on the registration from here to Denver from summer to winter. Can you believe it? I've never heard of such insanity. :gah:

So I guess I'm going to go down there, drag a cop to my storage room to verify the VIN on my bike, then come back here and go to Hell for lying about the whereabouts of my motorcycle. I've already asked my friends to pray for my soul. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I rushed over to the insurance agency to get my permanent insurance cards because I was sure she'd called the cops on me as I was pulling out of the parking lot. :cussing:
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Good to see some things never change , back in the earley 70's i had a day just like you had today , except I was Colo springs & it was My car she gave me grive over , my bike was good to go & I had all the same type paper work on them both , & the cop who checked my bike told me not to take it into denver because of the pipes I had on it
  3. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like fun!!! Gee, I wish "I" could have a great day like that!!! :roflmao: :banghead: :roflmao: good luck getting a COP to go to a storage unit just to verify a VIN......unless you know him personally......:witsend:
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the least amount of info you can give and still get regestered, the better off you will be. i would not tell them that the bike is stored out of state. once ya get the tags, who is gonna know where ya keep it?? if ya can, dont use the same lady. you should be able to register in any city within the same county. i hope ya get it worked out. in texas, any inspection station can do the verifications.....good luck!!!!:)
  5. bdfin

bdfin New Member

It seems the licensing and registration procedures are getting more anal everywhere...... If she said a dealership could do it, couldn't you just ride it by one of the dealers in Denverand have them verify it. Although I haven't been tracking the weather there lately, the roads may be covered with snow or gravel (sand ) possibly. I had trouble trying to license a boat trailer of all things when I lived there....but I can feel your pain.
    After moving back up here to the state of Washington I finally had the cash to buy the bike I wanted. After searching for weeks finally found a couple I liked, ( used ) and decided to buy one that was in Oregon. When I went to title it in Washington they looked up the VIN # and said the state had a title lean on it from the 1st owner who lived in WA. but had sold it to the guy I bought it from in Oregon. So instead of going to court etc. to get the lean removed they suggested I title it in Oregon where it had a clear title before........then bring that title in, that showed me as the owner, and apply for the WA. title. Well 55.00 extra dollars later and a couple more trips to Portland and my own DVM I FINALLY GOT it done.......what a bunch of crap !!!!!! It was a pain...but that first good long ride made it ALMOST all go away.
    And by the way, that lady that told you that you'd have to change the address back and forth etc. must be damaged. When you go back ask for someone else or the office supervisor or something.
    Good luck.... It won't be THAT.. long before you be cruising the Mt. highways of CO. in the sunny blue sky.........
  6. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I called the dealership that did all the work and they'll do the VIN ID. I don't even have to take it there. Although, they did seem sad that I was taking it away and asked that I bring it back to visit. :) How sweet.

She won't need to know where it is as long as I have the form with me.

I really got used to the ease of stuff like that in NH. One thing I noticed: in Colorado, the DMV is under the Department of Revenue. In NH, it's the Department of Safety. It makes me feel that NH is slightly more caring, while CO just wants my money. Seems like they should be happy to take my money wherever the bike is.

Oh, and she told me the longer I waited to register it, the more it was going to cost me. :confused:
  7. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

colorado:roflmao: greenies:roflmao: I think once you cross the border to colo, it's a matter of time before rectalcraneitise sets in but if your born there you ain't got a chance and don't know any different.(ok enough colorado bashing from north of the border)wyo/colo rivel. don't mind colo it's the mentality that just amazes me, either it be shopping, driving, the police, etc. I do buy cars there better selection, and to denver for eliches, the museum, zoo etc. but, I my self would most likely go postal if i lived there. I would rather live where I can complain about the wind and cold, then any where in colo. my brother dosen't seem to mind it but he gets out of state weekly. of course you can't beat the riding in colo the rafting, and the skiing. when it comes to camping and boating it's a steady stream of green plates heading north because of the recreation b.s in colo.
  8. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Colorado DREAMS of being California. To Nevada, that is a friggin' nightmare. At least for now - unless Las Vegas Californicates us. But anyway.......good luck with the bureaucraps, you'll need it there.
  9. fireitup

fireitup New Member

Wow

New York DMV don't care where the bike is just as long as yu have the proof of insurance etc. I lived in NH and I know what you are talking about as far as ease of things. Colorado sounds like a nightmare. I would follow the advice of going to another person or DMV office there. That woman that you dealt with has issues.:puke: