1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Crazy Idea

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Ashley, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

This will take months to get together, 9 or so. No not a baby.

I think it would be really cool to fix flights from London to Cancun (Mexico), drop into the local Eaglerider, grab a Harley and go riding. Sometime into next year, and after the hurricane season would seem most ideal.

We travel very light so I'm thinking a Road King or even a Heritage Softail would do us just fine. Not going to need cold weather gear for a start.

Anyone here have experience of Eaglerider, or of riding in southern Mexico? Any tips or suggestions?

Cheers in advance.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

personally, i would not go to mexico......too much unrest. killings, kidnappings, theft of personal property. i would have done it a few years ago, but not today. check it out real good ashley, hate to see ya in a mess in mexico........
  3. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

I've heard the same ,unless you are in a resort complex things are like the old wild wild west down there right now!!
  4. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Yeh Chuck, I know the risks in Mexico. It's probably no worse than many other places if I stick to tourist stuff and avoid the obvious. Two people travelling on a Mexican plated Harley are not going to grab a lot of attention, or be of interest to gangster elements. But yes, I'll check it out real good.
  5. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

screw em, I'm headed to cabo in 4 days
  6. chucktx

have fun!!!!!!! stay safe!
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

idid it a lot of years ago been across the borader more then once & rode my bike , but not today or anytime soon , the unrest & gang's don't care who they blast or where ,& A stray bullet don't care what or who it hit's ,There was a deal on the local news where bullets are comming across into the USA in more then one area :cussing:
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

be sure to get insurance in Mexico on the bike
  9. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Gee, Ashley why not just come to the USA, we have a lot better places to ride than in Mex. and not quit as dangerous. I'm like Chuck, will never go down there again not even to a Resort. Last time the wife went to a Mex Resort with a couple of her friends, she got her credit card ripped off by the waiter. If ya just want to see Mexicans just come to about any state we got lots. :cussing:
  10. chucktx

here is a pic of south west TEXAS,,,,,i think better riding than in mexico.....:)
    and i am sure there is plenty of free layovers to be had!!!!!!!:):)
    taken in big bend

Attached Files:

11. hotroadking

chuck so y'all are the problem with ill eagles...
    lookit all that open land.

Ya need some fencin and guns...
  12. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Plenty of time to think things through and weigh up options. Mexico would be fun, so too would be riding in the USA. It will likely come down to cost, the airfare to cross the Atlantic, and then the bike hire. In Mexico (Cancun) it looks to be in the order of $1,000 a week for a Road King or a Heritage Softail. I am not sure whet the costs in the USA would be. I need to check whether HOG have any good deals or whether better deals can be got elsewhere.

It will probably be our last big transatlantic trip. When we retire to Turkey (hopefully in a couple of years) there will not be the money for this sort of thing. At that point long road trips will more likely be into central Asia or the Middle East.

Stateside, Yellowstone would be really cool to see, then maybe head south, mountains and deserts. Death Valley, Grand Canyon, the Pueblo sites, that sort of thing. I'd need to do research on this, work out a route, distances. Suggestions are welcome.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  13. hotroadking

Weekly bike rental should be about the same

HOG has fly and ride deals,

Fly into Orlando on a Junket(or Sanford FL which is N of Orlando) Rent a bike and ride around

There are a lot of flights from London to Orlando

Or you can fly into LA Ride the west...

Kinda Hard to ride from one end of the USA to the other in a Week so pick your area and fly as close to it as you can....
  14. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

If the food in Mexico don.t kill ya- the Drug Cartels will. Bad place! - that's why all the mexicans are moving into the US. Better availabity of guns to defend themselves with.
    And Obama is handing out gobs of US tax dollars if they cross illegally. Almost makes me want to get a mexican citizenship so I can grab some of that free loot.
    Anyhow - Come on over to the States - you'll be welcomed anywhere you ride.