1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cruise Control '03 Roadking

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by hammer, Aug 1, 2004.

1. hammer

hammer New Member

Noticed on my last trip that my cruise control disengages by itself--
    EVERY time I hit a bump or road imperfection, but also without any other
    apparent reason. Just had the local dealership install a new set of grips-could they have done something to cause this problem? Any ideas of where to look?
    hammer :
  2. Seahag

Seahag New Member

I'd check the grounding wires for the cruise unit. I know its not the same but I had a car stereo amp cut out intermittently (most times with a bump) and it turned out to be a corroded/poor ground wire connection.
  3. fly310

fly310 New Member

You might also check the brake light switch security on the rear brake. Since the light switches on the brakes (both front and rear) also disengage the cruise, if the pedal has too much slop in it when you hit a bump it may be turning the brake light on without engaging the brake. Just a thought..
  4. Grease Gun

Grease Gun New Member

look at the space between the frt master cyl and the clamp on the handlebars. Ther should be none. The frt brake operates with a normally closed switch. The lever contacts the switch and holds the switch open until you pull it in. If somebody had your grips off they may have left a gap there and the brake lite could come on by hitting a bump or even with normal vibration.
  5. CD

CD Guest

Right on the money IMHO. A couple of easy ways to check.. With the bike idling just touch the lever and see if the brake light flickers. Or, engage the cruise and push outward on the lever with a finger to keep it away from the switch.
  6. Chet Lewis

Chet Lewis New Member

Cruise Control; I have the 2003 Ultra Classic and having the same prob, any solutions

Hammer...
    ... any solutions to your problem? I am having the same Issues, hard to set, once it is set will fall out, loose speed. Other Issue: will take off (speed up) all of a sudden, on its own. :mad:
  7. VYBR8R

VYBR8R New Member

Cruize Control

First thing is to look at the service manual!!! There is a calibration that is required whenever you change the throttle cables or the grips. It's very easy to do and is spelled out very well in the MANUAL.
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

man.....i love my internal throttle control on my linkert.....set the throttle where i want it and forget it.......no falter no muss no fuss...... :D
    chucktx