1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cruse Controll

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Tiny86, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Tiny86

Tiny86 New Member

I was thumbing through the latest JP cycles wish book and ran across a Vacuum controlled Cruse Control for Pre computer models. Before I jump out and buy one of these thought I'd ask the Fam if anyone has used,seen, fondled,or herd anything about these units.

Tiny
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

sounds interesting tiny.......ya got a link??? i would llike to take a look, as i have not heard,seen,fondled,or kicked one!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
  3. Tiny86

Tiny86 New Member

Cruise Control

Upon looking on the Online version of J&P:banghead: It is not on the web version of the catalog:witsend: . I Will table this till I get my Sh&t together.

Tiny
  4. Tiny86

Tiny86 New Member

Cruise Control

Page Title its an Audiovox CCS-100 It's made for cars but can be converted to MC? From reading this Article it sounds like pretty intensive surgery!!AND Don't know if it will work on a Harley?

Tiny
  5. twincam88b

twincam88b New Member

Sounds way too complicated already............trade up and get an 08 model with cruise, it's brilliant.

TC

It's going to be 43degrees down here today, too hot to ride.......
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i read the article....a bit difficult, but very do-able...i dont think i would put it on my bike.....i am gonna stick with the factory supplied thumb wheel.....works great!!!!!:)
  7. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I'm with chucktx - thumbwheel it. Had a different cruise control and it was a balky POS. I wish there was a fine aftermarket one, and it didn't cost an arm & a leg, but the 'wheel works well enough once you get used to it.
  8. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

There was a company in Reno at Street Vibs that had a really slick stainless steel unit that you just pressed and it set. To unset it you could either use your break or a button on the unit and it snapped off. They are still a mechanical device but sure work better than the wheel. We bought one for the wifes Valky and it really works slick. I'll have to look up the name of it and post it on her. Turns out the units are made in Tigard Oregon which is about 15 miles from us. When I find the manufactures name I will post it.
  9. FLHTbiker

10. Tiny86

Tiny86 New Member

Well thanks for the input I was just wishing. I'll stick with my old thumb screw it's worked for 22 years I guess it will work till I break down and get into the 21 century But I HATE COMPUTERS :fight:

Tiny
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Kuryakyn has a new electomagnetic cruise controller that fits over the grip and switch housing, looks pretty cool, remember though these are really electronic or manual throttle locks so going up hill you'll slow down and down hill you'll speed up it's not a "true" cruise control that will maintain speed.
  12. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

THAT looks nice....bit spendy tho! How do you like it? Part that I would like is the fact that it releases with the brake application....(almost got into a sticky situation with sudden onset of traffic when using the thumbscrew....couldn't bleed my throttle speed fast enuf and was hitting the brake/pulling clutch and engine started to tack up!!!) Tell us what you really think...good points, any bad..... how did it install (easy, hard, etc)......Thanks!
  13. FLHTbiker

AFnurse, the unit installed within about 15 minutes, very easy to install. We have had it now for 2 years. It works just as advertised and is easy to set. Simply either hit the brake lever or the button on the unit to make it release instantly. Its very well made and has never given the wife any trouble. When going up a hill you can still increase the throttle and it will stay in place. If I had another bike without a cruise control I would put one on it.
    It is still a mechanical device and you still have to set it and adjust it. The quick release and the ability to set it easily make it worth while.
  14. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Thank you for the info......it is a very simplified (simple to use) thumb screw cruise control.....but is VERY easy to release....I like it! Is it any cheaper if you walk into the shop for it???
  15. FLHTbiker

AFnurse, believe it or not I've never been to their shop in Tigard. When I'm able to drive again I'll have to check it out.
  16. Tiny86

Tiny86 New Member

FLHT You still down with the Knee Surg? did they get you fixed :D

Tiny
  17. FLHTbiker

Tiny, I had open heart surgery 3 weeks ago today. Although my knees are fine I did have problem with my right leg yesterday where they removed the veins for the by-pass surgery. Leg swelled up and turned a red color around the incisions and started running a temp last night. Packed some ice around it took a pain pill then went to bed. Looks much better this morning.
  18. Tiny86

Tiny86 New Member

Damn dude that sucks,at least your still with us. Hell You'll be riden again in no time
    . Sounds like you got some infection trying to get in there. kinda hard to ride with one leg. Be careful that it don't get worse.:rant: