1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cutting the Heads and Intake Work

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Nov 9, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Hey there guys and gals. Listen, I have been thinking about doing some modifications to my heads and intake manifold.

First, With the heads I am thinking about getting them cut so I can get some more power out of my ride. From research that I have done, and speaking with a couple of different people, I have ben led to believe that cutting the seats, adding tapered valve guides, and reshaping the ports will fit the bill. Ok, what can I expect for gains on both HP and torque? Is this the best way to go, or is there something else that can be done?

Second. I have flirted with the idea of changing the intake manifold on my bike ever since I did my engine mods, but did not think that I would it would provide much advantage. Well, now that I am close to actually putting the bike away for the season, I am revisiting the idea. If memory serves, it is not in the best interest to polish the inside of the manifold? It is best to leave it textured or to texture it more if you can because this created the turbulence to better mix as it is going to the chamber? Correct? I a have been looking at an SE intake, is this a good fit, or is there a better one available? How much will I gain by doing this??
  2. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Have you talked to a Head Porter or Builder ?

Also understand this is the busy season with builders and head porters too.
    This is the time everybody is doing work to their bike.

Call Scott with Hillside Cycles he ain't that far from you. He can help you better understand what you want to do. He does a great set of heads and and can help you if you want more power.
    Or you can pull yer bike to him and let him do the work for you.

Hillside
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

What did Bill recommend?

Intake is more about shape and reducing airflow restrictions
    the rougher surface is a must, porting and polishing is a
    term misused like blueprinting is abused...

Porting is the key, a rough surface is good- helps atomize fuel
    You can polish the chamber but it really doesn't make power, but it will be shiney
    a smooth exhaust port helps flow numbers

yes there are valve combination's that will improve flow.

The key is will the stuff you want to do be economically
    reasonable HP/TQ,

You can increase compression by using thinner head gaskets
    MLS from Cometic, if you have .045, you can go .030, or change
    pistons, or cut the heads, all kinds of routes,

You need to be sure the cams you are running will respond to the
    increased compression without causing detonation and tuning nightmares

(Flat tops and 203's are notorious for that in big twins)

Anyway, it's a good project, I'm all for more power....
  4. JohnnyBiker

Yes I have spoken to BIll and Amy. They did not go into great detail other than tapered valve guides, recut the seats and reshape the ports (which I am not sure how). And texture the intake. Didn't you give me something that said that the true power comes really from relocating the valves and that reshaping them really does not work that well? Basically it sounds like they are talking about a standard port job?
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Porting the heads and putting in better valves and guides will help increase flow,
    the intake should need work as well, port matching the intake to the intake ports.

You can't really "relocate" the valves they have a fixed angle position but you can
    change the seats, the valve shape and guide, all improve flow, better flow means you
    can fill the cyl faster with more air, therefore you can add more fuel, meaning you have more to burn and explode and thus more power.

NOS works this way by increasing the air charge with cold high density oxygen allowing the addition of a lot more fuel and thus, more power...

so the more you can get in faster you get it in the better the ability to make power
  6. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

When I had my heads done they put different springs to match the cam I used.
    And they put bigger intake and exhaust valves in to move more air.
    They was a stage II if I remember right heads.
    I stayed with Low compression too. 9.8.1 with flat top JE pistons.

1.90 exhaust valve and 1.615 intake valves and they cut the chambers on the heads was bathtub shaped.

[​IMG]
  7. JohnnyBiker

I spoke to a shop that I do not use but called to see if information is the same. I was told when speaking to them that 883 heads that are done are better than that of SE heads. I couldn't believe that crap.

What does everyone think of this?
  8. JohnnyBiker

HRK,

OK, here is what I did to my bike as far as engine mods are concerned.

883 converted to 1200 with jugs .005 over
    SE Flat Top Pistons 10.5:1 Compression
    SE Perfect Fit Push Rods
    SE 55cc heads/nothing extra done to these heads----yet
    .497/.497 lift and 236*/236* duration SE cams
    CV carb with #46 pilot and a 185 main
    Radii viper Exhaust 2" stepped to a 2.25" with some under performing baffles
    D&M Custom Cycles Spike Air Cleaner

I have not had this on the dyno just yet. This is all I have done to my engine.