1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

CV Carb Adjustment

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by wblanton, Sep 28, 2007.

1. wblanton

wblanton New Member

Does anyone know the correct direction to turn the enrichining screw on a CV carb. I have adjusted mine clockwise to lean it out but it still burns rich. I called my harley dealership and asked the service guy, he said he "thinks" clockwise is correct but I wanted to see if anyone knows for sure.

Thanks.
  2. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Righty tighty, lefty loosy. Just like any other valve turn it clockwise to close it and counter to open. Turning it in will lean it out and out will richen it up.

Can I ask what bike this is on? Please don't say 04-06 Sportster. :banghead: There is a rash of us having this problem as of late.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

ya dont want to turn it in too far, it will be to lean. if ya like, you can tell us your set up and what changes have been done,maybe we can figure out why it is to rich.:)
    it may not be the carb.......
  4. wblanton

wblanton New Member

The bike is a 99 fatboy. The carb has been jetted but I don't know what size jets were used. the slide is 5 grams lighter and a softer spring. other than that the bike is stock except for 2 into 1 exhaust and screaming eagle ignition module. The carb was built for a 103" and I bought it with the work already done.
  5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

So your running a carb built for a 103 on a Evo 80? :eek: That is meant for 20% more engine than you're running -there is your likely problem, you'll be messing with this awhile to get it acceptable.

What make CV carb is it? And are you certain it is a CV? Not that that even matters for the original question - just trying to establish a base of knowledge to help out.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if the carb is set up for a 103, it probably needs rejetted to get it rideable for you. rejetting is a cakewalk.....:)
  7. wblanton

wblanton New Member

As it turns out the jetting my be the main issue. I still have the stock carb, s I am putting it back on while I re-jet the other one. I didn't realize how bad it was until I went on a poker run yesterday and everyone that rode behind me said I was killingthem with the fumes. So I decided to change it back. rejet, and this winter I will install a sronger cam and do some head work.

Thanks to everyone for your help and wisdom with this issue.
  8. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

The carb is far too rich if the mixture screw won't make the engine stumble when screwed all the way in. The pilot jet could be off by as much as 4 sizes. You might want to check your plugs, bet they got a pretty good coat of carbon on them.