1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

CV carb on Shovelhead

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Jimboh, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Jimboh

Jimboh New Member

I am putting a CV carb on my 1974 Shovelhead. The engine is completely stock. What jet sizes do I use, or at least start with? Thanks for the help.
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

If you're putting an older CV or one off a Sportster, the jets in it may do, with some adjustment. The general rule is use the next size up from what you were running in your non-CV carb; i.e., use a 42 if you had a stock 40.
    From a quick look through searching, there's a whole lot of how-to help on this subject on the web, better than I can give. Good luck
  3. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

A good starting point for your Shovelhead would be a #44 pilot jet and a #175 main jet. Replacing the needle is highly recommended since the original came from an unknown source but is more than likely too lean.