1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

CV Carb problem

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by RATAYLOR, Jul 6, 2009.

1. RATAYLOR

RATAYLOR New Member

1993 FLHS carb, 13K, never been off bike, starts ok but idles too slow and gets progressively slower each time I have a chance to get to ride until finally it quit idling at stop lights. Kept turning the idling screw in but now i'm keeping the idle up with the throttle. Runs fine when I nail it in any gear but just won't idle.
    Took the diaphragm out and looks ok except for a burnt spot on the piece of plastic that clamps the diaphragm that coincides with the hole in the carb body.
    Whats a burnt spot doing inside of the diaphragm cavity anyway??:eek:
    Thanks.
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

There could be debris or something clogged in the air-idle passage or in the pilot jet itself. Has the bike sat for a while? I would remove the pilot (idle) jet and clean, then remove the idle mixture screw to make sure the needle tip is clean. Instructions on how to remove all of this can be found at Harley Davidson Carburetor Performance Tuning

BTW, that burn spot on the plastic slide diaphragm backing is normal, typically caused by backfires through the carburetor.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

what ken said!!!!!
  4. RATAYLOR

RATAYLOR New Member

Thanks fellows for the advice. It worked. Took several short trips to get the idle rpm just right and also doesn't backfire when lettin' off. Take care.
  5. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

One little trick when replacing the carb's diaphram is to put it in the freezer for a while 1st. The diaphram tears easily & doesn't fit that well right out of the package - getting it really cold 1st makes it less likely to tear & it fits better.
  6. RATAYLOR

RATAYLOR New Member

While on the subject of CV diaphragms, I had mine out but didn't replace it as showed no signs of degradation, but for future reference, there seemed a need for a spanner wrench to separate the halves of the plastic to change the rubber. Is this true or is the whole assembly replaced. Best regards.
  7. Buckhorns

Buckhorns Member

I had to replace my diaphragm on my 94 EGC. After playing with jetting , shimming the needle with no results, I got to looking at the rubber diaphragm and thought it might just be stretched after 15 years. The new one was less than $50 from the dealer and after replacing the old one and going back to the right jetting and removing the shims it ran like it is supposed to. Worked for me.
  8. RATAYLOR

RATAYLOR New Member

Buckhorn, my FLHS(1993) is about the same age as yours and was wondering what prompted you to decide you needed to replace the diaphragm. Was it the idling problems?
    In a previous reply I stated mine was cured of the idling problem but had the low side screw backed out 6 revs(too much) and still wasn't the exact way I remember the drivability to be. All carb adjustments I've seen say around 2-3 revs so I changed the manifold gaskets. now runs worse unless I back it out 5-6 revs.
    2 Questions: 1. Would a new diaphragm be the ticket, and, 2. Did the plug I drilled out for access to the idle screw also prevent air from going around the screw for the ideal vacuum needed for proper idle mixture? I suppose I could hold my finger over the hole to see if it changes anything.
    BTW, all the carb adjustment instructions say to have bike warmed up for adjustment with backing plate and filter on carb. Now, in my instance there is no way to do that from either side of my bike with all the stuff on it. I don't have midget hands or burn-proof skin.
  9. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

The diaphram may very well need to be replaced, but the intake manifold seal @ the heads & where the carb slips on may not be right either - new gaskets or not. Baseline idle mixture screw setting is 2.5 turns out & you shouldn't have to go more than about 1/4 turn either way from there to hit the "sweet spot" between too rich & too lean - assuming the jetting is correct & there are no intake leaks.

Also, the idle mixture screw on the CV carb is not an "air bleed" as on many other carburetors. Look @ the diagrams in your service manual to see how the circuit works - the screw controls fuel flow & the farther out you turn it, the more fuel you get in that circuit. Here's another diagram - about 1/4 of the way down the page:

CV Carburetor Modifications

So running the idle mixture screw ot 5-6 turns says the engine needs more fuel @ idle & that can be due to an intake manifold (air) leak, and/or the slow jet is too small.

The engine does need to be warmed up, but the air-cleaner does not need to be installed & it's certainly not practical anyway. Also, while the engine's running, you can spray a little WD-40 or carb-cleaner around the joints where the carb meets the manifold & the manifold meets the heads to check for leaks - if the idle changes suddenly, you just found a leak. An air leak will suck in anything combustable & make the engine (or just 1 cylinder) run richer for a moment.
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If you have never replaced the intake manifold gaskets on a 93 I would suggest you do that, get a new stock set they degrade over time. also the receiver O gasket for the carb.

And if you have any vac lines on the intake that you use for the petcock or, if you've blocked them check the rubber lines or cap for cracks,

Once you have the system sealed and setup properly then start the tuning session, as Art said, if you are backing the screw out and you've not changed the components of the engine ie, cams, heads, pipes open air filter, then either the jet is clogged (no low rpm fuel delivery) or you have an intake leak (Too much air)

If you have it apart and it's a 93 might as well freshen up everything, gaskets, seals, diaphragm etc. Bike will run better, mileage will improve, sex life improves, beer tastes better, blue skys are bluer, grass is greener when the bike runs right...
  11. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i agree with the last paragraph 100%!!!!!!:)
  12. RATAYLOR

RATAYLOR New Member

NOW she runs the way she is supposed to because I finally REMOVED the jet and ran a copper wire thru it instead of just spraying some carb cleaner thru it. Ken, I should have heeded your first reply and REMOVED it.
    Also, thanks for the post where hotroadking suggested on the "intake gasket" thread by "skull" of using a shortened piece of hex wrench on manifold bolts and turn with 1/4" wrench. Makes that job a cinch.
    A little off topic suggestion: I found 2 places that sell 93 octane "non-alcohol" gas. About 30 cents more per gallon. I think it makes a difference on a carb, dunno about FI though. Thanks fellows. Later.
  13. Buckhorns

Buckhorns Member

Sorry for the late reply. I'm recovering from bypass surgery. I had cleaned the carb, changed and tried different jets, checked for leaks, changed filters and did everything I could think of and read about, then got to looking at the rubber diaphragm and took it to the dealer and compared it to a new one and found the stretched difference to be noticeable. My problem had been erratic idle, carb farts and poor mileage.
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Hopefully the bypass surgery will fix that for you LOL

IF you have the above symtoms it's typically a leaky intake so replace all the seals and check all the hoses etc once you have it all replaced jetting the carb properly should solve it..
  15. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: Great line HRK