1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

CV Carb start issue

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by FLHTbiker, Oct 31, 2011.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Got a friend of mine who has a 2000 Softail who says that his bike starts up fine course when on choke. It runs fine even after pushing the choke in but everytime even at a gas station he must pull the choke out to get it to start. If he doesn't it cranks over but won't kick over. I told him I know some guys who might have some pointers on this. Any thoughts on it, I have a few ideas myself but thought I would also post it here for other input.
  2. Copter MD

Copter MD Member

Hello sir,
    I’m thinking that my thoughts will probably mirror yours but here ya go.
    Do you know what kind of (Hot Start) procedure he uses? I find that a quick twist or two of the throttle before hitting the starter usually works for me. If that’s still not enough, I would think maybe another half turn out on the idle mixture screw might help as well. If still not enough, possibly one size up on the pilot jet.
    This is certainly a tuff thing to diagnose without being able to see it first hand while it’s happening. As you know, a carb bike will probably be a little more finicky about starting than an injected bike…
    Regards…
  3. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

how long has it been doing this? has he changed anything lately?
    With everything that has been going on lately I have so real smart a$$ answers but I'll keep them to myself.
  4. FLHTbiker

His jets were replaced but to what I'm not sure. Told him the same thing about giving it a couple twists of the throttle then hit the start button.
    Also told him we could pull the carb and see what's been done inside.
  5. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

probably just the jets then and maybe the air screw needs tweaking a little.
    The only time I use my choke is when it 40 or below and I only do that so it will idle.
    I know it's a little rich but I burn more gas that way.
  6. FLHTbiker

I checked his air/fuel screw and it was already out 3 turns. Thinking jets possibly.
  7. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Did you check for air leaks??
  8. FLHTbiker

Not my bike so no don't believe that has been done. But will tell him we need to check for that first.
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I would check for a slight air leak , if not that then see what jets where put in & why they where put in
  10. FLHTbiker

Yep, that's the plan and starting point.
  11. cowboy

My EVO does that on short hops 20-30 miles aka bar hopping like , but when I had it NM & doing those 100-300 miles days it was fine , Hows your buddies on the longer rides /stops ?
  12. FLHTbiker

That's a good question and don't think he has taken it on a long trip. He mostly rides it at sea level.
  13. cowboy

When I ride the Evo here at sea level still the same 20-30 miles choke , 100 or better no choke start warmed up