1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cv performance spring

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by baggerpaul, Jun 28, 2012.

1. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

any one know what the cv performance spring gram rate is ?
  2. baggerpaul

7 views and nobody knows !!!!! comon man help a brother out
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I know I know!!! Whatever the weight of it on a scale says???? :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::gah:
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Well Ken aughta know
  5. JohnnyBiker

At least he has replies now..:D
  6. hotroadking

I really don't know, never had that asked....
  7. JohnnyBiker

I heading to the dealer, maybe I should pick him up a 44 spring while I am there?
  8. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I don't know either but it's a good question if we can also find out what the gram weight of the stock spring is to compare too. I haven't used my cv Perf. spring cause it is so much "lighter" than my stock one. after I got my carb adjusted I've been afraid to make any more changes even though it feels like it leans out a bit on part throttle.
  9. hotroadking

JMO leave the stock spring in there, it works, debur the hole but don't make it bigger just smooth it out,

Too many times the stock spring is changed and the dynamics/harmonics/flow rates cause a lighter springed slide to hunt up and down as the spring can't hold it constant.

The springs not gonna make it that much better and can fubar your smooth cv'ness of the carb.
  10. baggerpaul

ya ya ya i know who do you think i am mr :roflmao: the cv 44 comes with a stock spring think it was 230 and the tunners kit has a lighter spring but you must buy the kit to get it. i have the cv spring but if the one in the cv 44 is lighter than the cv performance spring is . i wont change it out looking for a quicker wide open and on the main faster jetting seems dead nuts on .
  11. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Hi Paul, without going into a lengthy answer regarding spring rates and what is available on the market I will say that the CVP spring has a higher rate than the SE44 race spring and DynoJet spring, but less than the late model (post 94) spring which was longer.

Why not publish the spring rate? Simple, because it becomes an apples to oranges comparison considering all the other manufactures do not have consistency across all of their springs and their supposed published rates are not accurate. Last time I stated a spring rate on a forum (not this forum) I was pounced upon by the usual suspects out to pick an argument with every manufacturer.

What was interesting when I was in R&D for this spring was other springs were inconsistent despite having the same part number. The SE44 race spring sold by Harley for instance was found in several different rates and 2 different materials when it was sent for material analysis. Same goes for springs taken from various model years, many of which were found to be made of different material (music wire, 302, 316, etc) and different wire diameter. The solution would be to measure all of the springs sold by each manufacturer, however when manufacturers keep changing material, wire size, and number of coils it becomes a pointless exercise and waste of money.

Having said all of this, 8 bucks and 5 minutes to change the spring will prove what many have found for themselves... and if it doesn't I'll stand behind the product and make it right.

I mentioned at the beginning that I would not go into the lengthy explanation... you should see the lengthy one :p
  12. baggerpaul

Thank you ken . Gotcha.
  13. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Since I have long sorted out all my other problems maybe it's time to make one more change and install the CV spring to see how it works. :D
  14. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

let us know how it works for you!!