1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

CV slide diaphram

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Jammer, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Jammer

Jammer New Member

Ive got a slide diaphram that has a hole and needs replaced. I've seen where you can buy the rubber separate from the slide. Should I buy the slide with rubber preinstalled or can you replace the rubber pretty easy. I'm not wanting to try and crimp, glue or anything like that or I'll just buy the whole thing. Any thoughts?
  2. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Get a new slide/diaphram from a Harley Davidson dealer. Got mine for around $50. J&P Cycles might sell one, also.
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

On the CV40's used on the Harley's the diaphragm is not replaceable,maybe so on some of the smaller CV's used on Metric's and dirt bikes...
    Harley part number for vacuum piston and diaphragm is 27585-88
  4. Jammer

Jammer New Member

I saw a couple of vendor's selling just the rubber for $14 and it said for my exact model. I was sceptical because I've never heard about that. If you guy's haven't either I'll play it safe and buy the complete slide. Thanks for the feedback. Here's a link to where I saw it.
    New Harley Keihin CV Carb Slide Diaphragm | eBay
  5. Lucifer

Interesting...You'd only be out $14 if it didn't fit or work...I'd be tempted to try it....if I come across an old slide up my buddies,I'll pull it apart for chits and giggles....:)
  6. joshbob

Not sure how the thing attaches to the slide.
  7. Lucifer

8. joshbob

Thanks for the link, Lucifer. I added it to my favorites in case I ever need it. I could replace my diaphram without ever having to remove the carb from the engine.
  9. Lucifer

Do you still have that slide with the big hole drilled in it hanging around??Could use that to see if diaphragm's are really replaceable on the Keihin CV's...
  10. Jammer

Jammer New Member

While waiting on the local HD shop to restock the shelf with a slide I oredered a slide diaphram. I'd like to give it a shot and see if I can change it. I'll update once I have it.
  11. joshbob

Tossed it. But I'm going to order a diaphram for a spare.
  12. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I'm not sure those diaphragms are the same size or if that snap ring on top will fit onto the CV40 slide. The slide on the CV40 is a different diameter.

If these are from JBM Industries they won't fit correctly. I tried working with the owner of that company previously to custom make diaphragms and the experience was almost as challenging as navigating his website. :banghead:

I experimented with dry fitting diaphragms obtained in Japan (Keihin) before in hopes of supplying them to customers. I found that you can pull the old diaphragm out and feed a new one in with some finesse and cursing, but in the long run it wouldn't be worth trying to explain to every customer how to do it without tearing the diaphragm... or tearing some hair out.
  13. joshbob

Yes, it does seem that it is a ticklish operation at best according to the link above. But the cost of slides has gone up to $80. Might be worth a try to save a few $$ . . .
  14. Jammer

Jammer New Member

I took the old diaphram off after considerable stretching and tearing the old one, but I didn't finess. When the new one comes I'll try to fit it over the rings without cutting them off first. If too much trouble I'll then cut them. I think I'll soak the diaphram in hot water first to make it more elastic and give it a try. I'll post some pics too.
  15. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

maybe a little lube would help, not vasaline but just dishwashing soap, coat the ring and slide areas that contact and give it a go.

ALso before you start put the slide in the freezer for a half hour to hour, and put the rubber in the sun so it's a bit plyable.

Freezing the slide will cause it to contract if just a bit, might be enough to help, I guarantee someone somewhere has to put these together to send to HD...
  16. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

If you want a slide I may have one for sale from my old CV40. PM me if yo are interested... :cool:
  17. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

You can still find the slide through places like J&P for around 40 + shipping:
    Motorcycle Parts & Accessories | J&P Cycles

When you get your new diaphragm compare the top ring carefully to the original ring and slide diameter. It may be different since that guy makes them for the smaller CVK36 carburetors and Mikuni version CV carburetors.
  18. Jammer

Jammer New Member

I talked with the supplier and he wasn't sure but thought you had to remove the plastic ring. So I did and... DO NOT remover the plastic ring,:banghead:. I should have stuck with my first thought and worked it over the ring. After I took the plastic ring off I found the diaphram inside diameter was too big and probly would have slipped over the ring. Here's a pic.

Attached Files:

19. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

well that old sayin measure twice cut once ya know...
  20. Jammer

Jammer New Member

The slide is necked down where the plastic ring is and unfortunatly you can't measure it until you cut it off. Oh well, I'm learnin from my mistakes.