1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cv slide

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by vgfxst05, Sep 5, 2010.

1. vgfxst05

vgfxst05 New Member

Any body know what the vac. hole size is on the stock cv slide mine was drilled out. Thanks Vic G.
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I think it's 7/64"...not 100% positive...Ken(Kenfuzed) would know for sure because the drill bit he provides in his CV Performance kit is the same size as the vacuum port,it's just to clean up the port not enlarge it. If the port on your slide is 1/8" it was drilled, you may be able to get away with it like that if you use the stock spring. Chances are if the slide was drilled a dynojunk kit was installed with a lighter,shorter spring.
  3. vgfxst05

vgfxst05 New Member

Hey Thanks, It was drilled out but i think it's bigger than 1/8" don't know about the spring?
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

vic at the bottom of the page these a link to CV performance check it out ken run's that show as well :cool:
  5. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

A 7/64 bit is about the closest you an get in a fractional drill bit, unless you have access to metric size bits. The actual hole size in the slide is approximately 2.6mm but the machining process generally leaves them smaller or partially blocked. A 7/64 bit is 2.78mm. As a reference a 1/8" bit is 3.18mm, but since most use a hand held drill the resulting hole can often end up in the 3.25mm range or larger.

A slide with too large of a hole can act like a shock that has lost it's dampening. The hole acts to regulate how fast the air above the slide can be displaced as the vacuum changes and draws the slide upward. The same applies as the slide attempts to return to a closed position, and just like a shock if it is allowed to move too quickly you end up with a slide that bounces and hunts for the proper position.

If the hole has been drilled larger than 1/8" I suggest either replacing the slide or modifying the slide by way of filling and redrilling. Since I've always been sort of a cheap guy I can't see throwing away a slide and dropping $40-50 on a new one. I've had success repairing over-drilled slides by doing the following.
    1) Fill the over drilled vacuum hole with JB Weld. Hi-temp silicone will also work.
    2) Drill a new 7/64 hole adjacent to the old hole.
    This method will salvage a perfectly good slide from the garbage and keep a few $$ in your pocket.

I should also mention that cutting the slide spring (another weak attempt at performance) is never recommended. Cutting the spring shortens it's travel but has an adverse effect on returning the slide to it's original position. If you want better throttle response use either a SE race spring from a 44mm carb or the CV Performance slide spring which has been designed with the correct length and tension. When used with the vacuum hole at stock or 7/64 you will have the correct balance of tension, travel, and slide response.
  6. vgfxst05

vgfxst05 New Member

Thanks everybody who replied I am cheap also, I have jb weld and will replace the spring..