1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Cyclist wave

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by DeuceBones, Mar 11, 2009.

1. DeuceBones

DeuceBones New Member

I would like to get some input on a new topic to me, but one that has probably been discussed before on this forum. What do you think about the cyclist wave? You know, the one where you drop your hand from the grip and acknowledge the riders going by in the opposing lane. I just rode from Florida to KY and in FL it was non-existent, in Georgia it was more common and in KY and TN almost everybody does it. Is it stupid, courteous, a waste of energy or the thing to do? I don't want to be impolite, but it's not like somebody is gonna turn around and run you down for not waving to 'em. What do you think?
  2. rkortan

rkortan New Member

I usually wave if it is safe. Be careful not to take your hand off the handlebars at a time when you might need to make a quick move...........BK
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I've found that Goldwingers tend to keep their nose forward and don't wave to Harley riders and there are a ton of Goldwing riders in Florida. Same with many of the sporty bikes. I usually wave but don't like dropping my hand and arm down low so I give a quick wave. Its kind of a courtous thing among bikers, and weekend only riders.
    The 1 %ers usually don't wave either and I don't wave at them either. If I do wave to another rider and get no response then I figure they didn't see me or they got to many personal problems and I just keep on trucking along.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

sometimes i nod my head........but then again, i nod my head alot when im listenin to my tunes...............lol
  5. steveb

steveb Active Member

I will give most riders a wave just to be friendly if they don't wave back oh well it don't matter.
  6. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

i always wave, down low, 2 fingers, just something i started doin. i guess i'm just being courteous, but really don't care if they wave back or not. most guys in jersey wave, but when we were up north, especially in Ma, nobody waves.
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i may not wave at all, or even nod......but i wont pass one up on the side of the road............
  8. sparkysharley

sparkysharley New Member

In australia there is a thing where Japanese bikes some do not wave to harleys some goldwing riders dont wave to harleys or Japanese bikes but lets just stop and ponder, it's nice when you are in the mood and you just give a frendly wave on a quiet road and you get a nice wave in return , lets face it there are sufficent things pissing us off regulary from the law to the old lady the ***** next door !!!!!! come on ya give the wave were is the brotherhood the love come on I live in hope of a world where i am not getting pissed off so regular
  9. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

All depends. If I am riding solo and pass another bike I drop a hand to them. If we are riding group lead and tail drop a hand, sometimes we all do. WV is known for being about as bassakwards as you can get on about every topic, but we some friendly folk until you tick us off.

I like Chuck's answer. I don't give a rat's rear if you don't wave at me but don't leave me on the side of the road. I have interupted a couple pee breaks as well as lending moral support and a cell phone to one stranded bike. I passed one bike on the side of the road without knowing if he was in trouble or resting and felt like crap after doing it. I was on my way to my son's doc appointment though and at the time they could have been beating a nun to death with baby seals and I would have still passed them by.

The one that really ticks me off is when you are on the side of the road and some jerk on a bike rides by and waves or blows the horn. Fortunately so far I have always been on a break not broke LOL. Just pass me and don't acknowledge me at least then I can think you didn't see me for whatever reason.
  10. DeuceBones

DeuceBones New Member

After reading these comments on my question, I would respond with, "Yeah, all the above." There are times when a wave is appropriate and times when it ain't, but the type of dude I am, I wave 'cause I'm a friendly sort. If I were meeting these riders in a parking lot or sitting still on the side of the road, I would break the silence and start talking to them. Having said that, I do get tired of "the wave" on some fine ridin days when there are no less than 1,000 riders in the other lane every mile or so. Ya know what I mean, Vern?
    Thanks to all who have given a response to the question.
  11. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Alabama.....we mostly always wave on hiway, in cruves and shifting when not at risk.....as for as stopping to help, ALWAYS....if I don`t get a thumbs up! Wife was in front going up the mountain and radioed back that someone was broke down in a curve.....Liked to got ran over getting off the road (about 8" drop off road and busy) then was not safe getting back on the road. Guy and rider was adjusting the load on the bike.....He could not have picked a worse place to have stopped ....that was the reason we thought he was broke down...go figure
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

In FL we see bikes daily, all the time 24/7/365
    during bikeweek if you waived at everyone you'd never be able to pull in the clutch lol

I do wave,
    some don't

not a big deal to worry about...

but it is one thing that is still tax free!
  13. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

I wave when it's safe to do so.
  14. DeuceBones

DeuceBones New Member

Your answer was kinda what I thought. I happened to be in FL during bike week. I wouldn't characterize FL riders as being stuck up just because of that. Everybody got weary of "the wave" during that time.
    And yeah, if the gov't could figure a way to tax a wave, they would!
  15. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Sometimes on an afternoon ride around here you might wave at 150 bikers or more!!!! After my arm gets sore and I think about the non-biker cars behind me might wonder are these "gang-signs" hehe

I think more than a wave to say hello.....It is a wave to say to them that I understand what you feel that non-riders don`t......Hooked on the feeling!!! or "Brotherhood"

I am 60 years old and I started riding at 10 or 11 (small country town) If I`m stressed I ride, if I`m down I ride, if I`m pi*sed I ride! Thats why I drop my arm to most...to let them know I understand.....
  16. Mayor

Mayor New Member

I forgot to say....Don`t have a feeling about the ones that don`t wave.....Some do some don`t...no matter to me....Simply means they don`t
  17. BikinDave

BikinDave New Member

Got to agree with Chucktx, I'm gonna remember someone who would stop and lend a hand alot longer than any wave.

Bd