1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Dadgummed Miss

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by DeuceBones, Jun 1, 2009.

1. DeuceBones

DeuceBones New Member

Help! My Deuce has developed a miss that I can't figure out. Runs great cold to warm, but hot begins to miss at a cruise. Acceleration seems to be fine which puzzles me, but cruise speed begins to cough a bit. I've gone through a couple of tanks of high octane with a dab of petro additive to remove water and checked the plug gap which is correct and clean. Any suggestions?
  2. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

quick thoughts cracked plug, wires, is it efi or carb, jets, efi rev limiter/brainbox filter/screen, fuel line, vacume on tank, pinched hose, etc.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i assume it is coughing through the intake??? i would check the intake seals. use a bit of wd40 with the red tube attached. dont spray straight into the intake, but where the carb/throttle body attach and where the intake attaches to the heads......hope this helps.....
  4. DeuceBones

DeuceBones New Member

It is efi. Sorry, shoulda mentioned that. Thanks for the possibilities. I would have to rule out most, but I don't know enough about the brains of the motor to rule that out. Which I suspect. That has to be tinkered with by a HD tech doesn't it?
  5. DeuceBones

DeuceBones New Member

Good suggestion! I used to do that on my old cars, but it just plain escaped my hard drive on this one. I'll give'r a try.
    Thanks
  6. chucktx

or replaced with an aftermarket one. does the speedo give you any codes??? the service manual will give you the "how to" to retrieve fault codes....
  7. DeuceBones

DeuceBones New Member

No codes to run down. Could it be worn out plugs or wires? But, the plugs are clean and gap is correct. I'll check for the leaky intake first.
  8. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

:banghead: the nominclature thang again, miss, cough or sputter. good thing chuck thinks outside the box cause I shoot with what i am givin
  9. chucktx

hope he found the problem......
  10. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

If it is a miss and the plugs look good doesn't mean they are good, ceramics, electrode, both have been known to cause problems when heated up , plug wires....same thing, but I would probably considerer it a sputter first and do as chuck said, and rule that out also did you do any upgrades I.E: exaust and breather, and then this started? keep us informed
  11. DeuceBones

DeuceBones New Member

I haven't had time to do the WD-40 intake test that Chuck suggested, but I agree with you that just because the plugs look good doesn't mean they are.
    I almost changed them to test the outcome of the problem, but my previous experience with bad plugs always results in a failure under load not at cruise.
    Therefore, I was too tight to buy plugs and wires just to find out. No, there have been no upgrades or changes.
    Sorry to have been so long in responding to guys who are nice enough to take time to try helping me. This self-employment makes me a slave to my job and I've been working night and day to get caught up enough to go with my buddies in TN on our annual June ride. Going on my RK this time and leaving Deuce at home. I'll holler back next week.
    Thanks again to you and Chuck.
  12. DeuceBones

DeuceBones New Member

Chuck,
    Ain't had time to work on the problem any further. Just been ridin' my RK.
    Read reply sent to ironhorse.
  13. chucktx

seen it and no problem........i can relate to the work issues!!!!! have fun and stay safe!