1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Danny Gray Seat

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Striker57, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Striker57

Striker57 New Member

Was at the local HD dealer today and saw where they were carrying Danny Gray seats. They looked pretty nice and as I'm still shopping for a solo seat I figured to ask ya'll for some feedback on these. Comfort and wear? HD wanted $219 for a solo and they are on ebay for $155.
  2. 00 wildglide

00 wildglide New Member

Danny Gray Seats

I've checked out all the major seat manufacturer's too & found my choice to be
    CORBIN.(IMO)I just like the idea of having the product custom fitted to my person.I saw a motorcycle show on the DISCOVERY channel a while ago with
    DANNY GRAY showing some of his work.He mention the usage of "recycled"
    carpet foam being used in his seats...Not sure if I can digest paying premium
    dollars for not so premium materials used in his products.Don't get me wrong,I think the Danny Gray seats look great & probably feel great...They're just not my personal choice.NOTE:Check out "CRAIGS LIST"...you might found some seats there too.
  3. CD

CD Guest

Danny Gray is the choice of custom builders. He produces some excellent stuff and stands behind it. I think he uses the recycled carpet foam as the seat base cover and not the actual seat foam.

Corbin is extremely Internet unfriendly and has about the worst rep for customer service there is. I don't know which has worse service, them or Samson.
  4. 00 wildglide

00 wildglide New Member

bad rep?

Not trying to argue C.D.,But I have inquired about a "DANNY GRAY" seat in the
    past from a very well known distributor of his(DUBLIN,CA. AREA)& had the
    worst experience ever while shopping for a seat.Probably not the stores fault,Maybe a sales person...Whatever,The person responsible for retailing
    "DANNY GRAY" seats should realize how they impact the sale of a product.I
    would say from my experience DANNY GRAY seats will never be on my bikes.
    (IMO OF COURSE)
  5. ctd

ctd New Member

Check out Saddleman and Mustang. Saddleman uses gel cell pads which are suppose to be very comfortable.

Anyone know if the HD two-up seats are comfortable? I saw the ones with back rests which looked good, but if they're anything like stock, they can keep them:)
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the stock seat on my 06 electraglide standard is very comfortable. it has provisions for backrest also......
    chuck
  7. Striker57

Striker57 New Member

Got It

Ordered the Mustang solo vintage yesterday. Thanks for the feedback.
  8. navyman

navyman New Member

The seat that came on my '04 Road King was terrible. Replaced it with a Mustang and have been extremely pleased.
  9. ctd

ctd New Member

How do you like the Mustang seat; i.e. the sides and back of it appear to be "fixed" so wonder if it would create problems with the legs/butt. I know they are regarded as good seats. I wish there was somewhere a guy could compare or even see the seats rather than buy without sitting/seeing. I'm kind of partial lately to the Saddleman series with the gel cushions in them since I sat on a Honda with the gel seat. It was nice. Keep us posted on how you like them.
  10. CD

CD Guest

There is no argument....I have dealt with Corbin's attitude for the last twelve years. His latest stupidity is his supposed stand against "Internet" shops advertising on line and using their logos etc unless they have a retail store able to install and fit their stuff. Add that to the fact that his prices are outlandish and it is not due to you pay for quality it is much more likely that you pay for Mike to pay legal fees from the "Sparrow" fiasco suits.

Corbin produces a good product. Is it the caliber of Mustang or Danny Gray? Nope. Do they have customer support that is even close to Mustang's? Nope.

I have many, many years of experience with all of the seat manufacturers and Corbin is the only one that gave us any amount of grief. When Al Gore first invented the web, Corbin sent us all the images we could use so they could get even more exposure. Since then, two seemingly coincidental things have occurred. First, Corbin has an on line store so you can order standard to custom seats at full pop. Secondly, the brick and mortar shops have raised the roof over the successes of larger Internet shops like ourselves. As of mid 2005 we are not allowed to show discounts or use images even though we have a retail store and I think I can put a seat on ;) . So instead, we sell the customers a seat from a company (usually Mustang) that is happy to get the business and provides great service.

I have tried Corbins myself and they never seem to break in for me. I have installed Mustangs on every H-D I have owned since about 1990 and that is about six different bikes.
  11. spanky32354

spanky32354 New Member

Seats

Now here's a topic that gets as varied a response as what oil to use. :) I had a 05 FLHTCUI that I was taking on a 6000 mile trip this past summer. I replaced the stock seat with a Mustang Touring seat that came highly recommended from other riders. IMO it sucked. Too hard on the butt and inner thighs. My local dealership recommended the new Reach Seat since I am vertically challenged. Bought that and left on the trip the next day. After 100 miles I was ready to go back home. I toughed it out for about 2000 miles before I had my Daughter send me my stock seat. I made the rest of the trip with the stock seat which turned out to be much more comfortable that the others. When I got back home I ordered a Corbin Touring seat. It was about the same as the Mustang. I'm tired of buying seats, not liking them, and then reselling them at a lose. I now have an 06 FLTRI. The stock seat is as comfortable, if not more so, than any of the others. I bought another H-D seat (pillow look) that I'm going to use for touring this summer. I, like many others, which there was some place that carried many different brands that you could put your hands on to check the cushion, or lack of, and firmness and fit.
  12. Breeze

Breeze New Member

Seats

To follow on Spanky's comment, HD seems to put a better stock seat on the Glides than the Dynas and Softails. Either they use a better seat because they anticipate a lot of saddle time or they think owners of Dynas and Softails will probably change it any way... along with more chrome, chrome, and did I mention chrome. All I could stand on my stock seat (Softail) was about 30 minutes before my butt went numb. I went to the Mustang Wide Solo and can do a full days ride and still feel my butt. I've been in the saddle of a couple glides for a short ride and was pretty impressed with the stock seat... at least my butt thought it could tolerate it.