1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Danny

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Danny, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Danny

Danny Member

:wtf:Got an issue with my left turn signal lamps. They flash normally then begin to flash rapidly after 5 or 6 times. All lights are lit and everything appears normal with flashers and right side as well. It gives the appearance that a lamp is out but none are. What gives? "01" FLHTCI
  2. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Check your wiring and grounds - if all is good - take a look at the flasher unit; could be going south on ya!
  3. Danny

Danny Member

Thanks Sarge7. Will do.
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

also double check all the prongs on the flasher as over time they build up dirt so to speak , just clean them off some thing with the fueses ,
  5. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Also, if you are running LED turn signals you need to make sure you install a load balancer. Not sure you have LEDs but just thought I'd mention this. LED lights do not produce a load like incandescent bulbs and will cause the blinker module to think there is a burned out bulb in the circuit.
  6. Danny

Danny Member

Just to let you know, the rear left turn signal bulb WAS bad but I'm sure that I saw all lamps lighting when told to. - ? -
    On another note, I've run into a bee hive with repairs. My inner primary is off and so is the sprocket because the seals are bad. I need a seal puller and it looks as if it's a special tool but I don't know the technical name for it. Where do I get the tools I need and what are they called. Vague request, I know but if you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
  7. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the factory service manual will give the names of the special tools needed to do the work. a seal puller can be had from an auto parts store. they are different sizes, and not to expensive........before tearing into your bike, ask yourself if you are capable of doing the job. i have known many people that figured it was a cake walk to replace 2 50 cent screws in the stator.....ended up costing them close to 500 bucks....plus down time. i am not questioning your ability. i commend anybody trying to save money and learn about their machines....just hate to see something FUBAR'ED. take your time and understand what the manual is telling you. good luck and have fun!!!
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

the special tool can be had from any Harley dealer or jims engines Not sure of his web site , but he'll be a cheeper the HD from what I here
  9. Danny

Danny Member

Well, I'm taking my time as you can see from my last post. I'm thinking of bringing the bike to a repair shop but I'm also determined to fix this myself. I am a mechanic (not motorcycle obviously) and have been for 30 years so I have a pretty good understanding of mechanical systems. Questions I have now are regarding the tolerances on the inner race on the main shaft and end play in the bearing. What are the tolerances and how do I check them? The manual isn't going into that kind of detail.