1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Daughter Makes Dad Proud

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Mar 6, 2013.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Not a lot is needed to make me proud of my girls, but this was particularly nice and I and I can't really explain why, but it just did. The other night I was admiring m new weapon and I thought I would see how my 9 year old would react to me asking her to hold it. Now as a father, at least for me, it is my job to expose my kids to these kinds of things. I do not feel that it is my right to force them to like anything, but just to supply the information and then let them decide. Anyways, I offered her to hold the Bersa and to my surprise, she said, "OK." I made sure that the weapon wasn't loaded, I did this while she was there watching me look to see that it wasn't loaded. I handed her the weapon with the slide open. The first thing that she said was, "Wow, this is heavy." She continued to look at the weapon. I noticed she was curious about the various parts of the weapon so I began to explain to her what each part was and what its function was (IS). I asked her to hold the weapon out with a straight arm and see how she liked it. She made another KEY observation I thought. She replies, Dad, I do not like how this feels in my hand, it is too chunky." :roflmao: Knowing what she meant, I replied, "Chevelle, that is one of the main things that you must look for when looking for a weapon." "How it feels in your hand is crucial to how well you control it," I said.

I was proud because I feel that I did what all parents should do. They should educate their young about as much as they can. I saw last night as an opportunity to become even closer to my daughter as we may have something more in common that we can share with each other not only when she is young like she is now, but later on in life as well. I asked if fshe would like to go to a shooting range with dad and she said that she would. I think that I need to bring a 22 single shot with to see how she likes that.

One thing that I have always said to my myself and I try very hard to live by this is that I will never try to force my kids to do something that they do not want to do. I WILL NOT disown them because they may not agree with me. My job as a parent is to educate, what they do with that education is up to them, one can only pray that they do the right thing and that they allow that education to guild them in life.

Ramblings of Proud Father!! :D
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Im not an expert parent but Good job JB!
  3. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

+1 & it brings back memories of introducing my boys to shooting. My youngest was real small for many years (was a "premie", but he's shooting up real fast now) and a few years back when his friends were talking about shooting and how big a deal it was that they'd shot their dad's 12 gauge, he just casually mentioned his experience with my 10 gauge. None believed him until a couple weeks later when I took 'em all out to the desert for some FAMFIRE. Had to establish that he was a real straightshooter - by both definitions!

Yeah, JB, we'll burn some ammo when you're here. Coyote hunting is legal year-round (no license or anything required), but their pelts suck in the summer so we'll probably just do some HP plinking.

:cheers:
  4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Chevelle is a very smart young lady. Burning ammo is cool, if that is what we do, I can live with that. :D

Thanks Fatboy128!:cool:
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Cool, I had my daughter shooting her 45 cal black powder rifle off of cross sticks when she was that age. She loved it and was the best shot in her age group.