1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Daytona Bike Week & GA I 95 Checkpoints

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Crankshaft, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Crankshaft

Crankshaft New Member

On March 9th, GSP troopers will conduct the "B.E.A.S.T." event. The Biker Education Awareness Safety Team consists of state troopers patrolling Interstate 95 for a day. The troopers will stop motorcyclists and will check their helmets, among other equipment, to see that they are Department of Transportation (D.O.T.) approved. Trooper Harris said the reason for this 2nd annual event isn't to ticket bikers, rather it’s to get them to be safer, if possible.

Read it here...

Ft. Stewart soldier killed in motorcycle accident | The Coastal Source
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I got hit by a car yesterday on I-5 just as we were exiting onto I-205. Maddog was in the lead in the left lane and just as he went by a women driver she immediately Pulled over into our lane. I was directly beside her when she came over and caught her act of stupidity just in time. I immediately braked but her rear bumper caught my front tire and threw me to my left into the emergency lane.
    I never lost control and it happened so fast I didn't even have time to get on the horn until after I got back in control. I then got up along side of her and yes stayed there while I Let her know what I thought of her. At least venting my frustration made me feel good. I don't even know if Maddog even knew what took place as I haven't had the chance to let him know. It was a very close call and a helmet would not have made a tinkers dam if I would have gone into the concrete barricade wall. Plus I was riding my Springer and not as much protection as the ultra. :(
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  3. Crankshaft

Crankshaft New Member

I`m glad you didn`t go down!!!
    We gotta be on the defnsive,
    Dennis
  4. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Dang.. your first sentence got my attention. I am glad you saved it man, I expect that drew you up a bit. People just don't pay attention, no business on the road at all. :mad:
  5. FLHTbiker

I tell you, it happens so fast you got to be paying attention all the time. I watched her in my mirror after that and she stayed well in back of us. It's a good thing I could not have gotten my hands on her.
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Thanks fit up dates crank. Flht hope your seat is still flat :) hood to here you stayed up
  7. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Glad you made it through OK. We have to be aware of them A H's. It happens to us all allmost every time we ride,to some degree. It's,in fact,part of riding. Defence,Defence
  8. FLHTbiker

My whole point in telling this on this thread was the fact that had she hit me real hard from the side a helmet would not have done me any good. These cops in GA and everyplace else should be going after the cage drivers that injure and kill motorcyclist and be more serious about getting them off their cell phones. We have a cell phone law here in Oregon and you cannot believe the number of drivers that I see on their cell phones.
  9. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

happy you kept the bike up...we have the same problem with the cell phone users here, distracted driving law and all
  10. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Very glad to hear you didn't get hurt. Sometimes there's not even time to react it happens so fast. I think she got your message loud and clear - at least until the next time she uses her cell phone.
  11. mitchcole56

mitchcole56 New Member

I live down here in Georgia. Whenever I come up on a cage driver and see there head bobbing up and down and they are not keeping their lane well I figure they are texting. I keep my distance as they don't realize a bike, let alone a car or truck is anywhere near them. Heck, they don't even realize they are in a car driving while using the phone.
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

that depends on who's head is bobbing up and down the driver or passenger and where their head is positioned as to determine if it's "texting" that is happening... :roflmao::roflmao:
  13. Maddog110

Maddog110 Active Member

I did see it happen behind me,didn't know the story til now,you looked like you were dirt tracken common onto 205 off I 5,we all know they don't see us,even when they
    Look strate at us.glad yer ok.ride safe guys.
  14. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

at any rate best be giving that vehicle lots of room...:)
  15. MountainCruiser

MountainCruiser Well-Known Member

Thats when I am really gonna get back from that cage ... :roflmao:
  16. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Ya look out there heading right your way ;)
  17. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

The problems is with the cagers not giving the biker the right of way.
    Not the bikers riding the bike.
    But they have the backing and power to change it up to however they want.
    Pretty Tough when the authorities are so dense that they can't see the real picture.
  18. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

I've always said this....

Riding around Chitcago is crazy because half the year they don't have to deal with bikes.....

Speaking of helmets, thats the one freedom we still have in Ill-annoys is no helmet law.

Screw that "Stopping to check helmets" crap.... Sounds like a BS way to stop bikers to me..
  19. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Answer me this
    Why are they discriminating against bikers ?
  20. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

cause we're an easy target..that's why. There are a lot more non riders than those that do and then those that do ride are split up into little groups and all the little groups that we're broken down into aren't on the same page so it is very easy to pick us off, bit by bit. We really haven't been doing a great job of promoting motorcycling to the general public in a good light.