1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Decel Pop

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by FLHTbiker, Aug 17, 2009.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I removed the Sampson mufflers off my Springer. The Sampsons had no baffles in them. I installed the V&H Fishtails. The bike would decel all the time with the Sampson mufflers and still doing it with the V&H. When I shift gears there is a pop now. I have tightned the muffler clamps and re-tightned them. It it possible that the Harley clamps are worn out and leaking past?
  2. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Could be a leak where the header comes off the head, is the Springer injected or a Carburetor, if not an exhaust leak it is usually a fuel problem of some kind.
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Did you drop the header pipe? if so did you replace the gaskets in the head, they will leak just enough to cause a pop
  4. FLHTbiker

Nope didn't remove either headers. Maybe I will and replace those gaskets.
  5. cowboy

sounds like you have a slite air leak & cold air air is mixing with hot air thus the decel pop
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

harley clamps will stretch over time....they are the best, but will still wear out.....
  7. RATAYLOR

RATAYLOR New Member

FLHTbiker, consider also changing the intake gaskets and the carb-to-manifold rubber too. A 2001 engine is getting to the age of dried out intake gaskets.
    Also, experiment with "good" gas(non-ethanol) too to see if it changes anything. I know its hard to find as there is only 3 places in my town to get it but the good stuff makes every I have with an engine run better. The local CO-OP here has it probably because the gasohol screws-up the farmers old tractors.
  8. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I've always had decel pops, especially in 3rd or 2nd. I sort of like the sound when it happens occasionally, but when it happens too often it's annoying. I have Vance & Hines' Big Shots on my 07 Dyna Street Bob with the V&H Fuel Pack. I've had my exhaust completely removed twice. What should I look for to correct this? I wish I could buy gas without ethanol, it seems like a big scam. From what I know, it's an experiment that wasn't thought out completely. The savings in emissions isn't worth the carbon ouput it takes to produce.
  9. cowboy

hellboy there's a mesh style gasket that fit's in the head where the header pipe goes , I change mine out any time I have to remove my header pipe here there about $5 for the set ,I use the screamin eagle one's & never had any trouble out of them
  10. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

as cowboy said...take a little seal pick or a good..on the verge of illegall....pocket knife and get the old one out cause it smashes in there pretty good and I've had to go over and help a couple of fellows that swore there wasn't anything there after they ruined a new set. and SE is what I use also course i seem to have paid 7.00 for mine:banghead:
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

many times the popping on deceleration is due to the timing of the cam in the engine pulling back in fuel and firing it off from the exhaust...

This is common, and it typically happens when you chop the throttle, the engine still turns over and over, valves opening, etc.

Try richening up the fuel circuit on the bottom with the AFR screw to see if you can get it to reduce or go away....

Or possibly a larger jet.

Be sure the throttle blade is closing 100% when you close the throttle..
  12. FLHTbiker

I need to take the front head pipe off anyway so I can check the cam tensioners and after 39000 on it I'll probably just replace them. So I think I'll replace the header gaskets when I do this, then see what happens. I'll be replacing the the intake gaskets when I pull the carb off to put Ken's kit in there.
    Hellboy, I hate decel pooping especially when all I'm doing is shifting gears.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  13. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I’ve noticed that a lot of people have decel popping when they change to a free flowing exhaust. Even a little bit of chain back lash from the cam chains can cause decel popping. I had a little on high revs when backing off. When I changed to gear driven cams it all went away.
  14. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

I have 08 Street Glide with V&H long shots and V&H Fuel pak too....I have the decel pops real bad...annoying at times...There was supposed to be a fuel pak by Thundermax to fix this all,but they never came out with the pak as far as I know...or last time I checked.
  15. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

I wonder if I changed from my Fuel Pack to a Power Commander and did a Dyno, if that would help.
  16. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

If you go with a power commander add the autotune with it.
  17. Hdtractor1

Hdtractor1 New Member

Hellboy,

It Never helped On my Streetglide so I sold the PC and put the V&H Pak back on. The PC in my opinion was worse than before. But I never had the Dyno with PC or the Fuel Pak.
  18. FLHTbiker

I pretty much solved mine now.

1. Changed the header gaskets.
    2. The cross over gasket and washer were totally missing, blow by was all down the tube. Installed new ones.
    3. Put Kens jet kit in with mixture adjustable screw.

I get a little bit of decel pop when shifting down into a low gear. No more popping between gears. Bike runs good, plugs look OK, no black smoke and a happy rider. :D
  19. cowboy

FLHT that's good to here , you should be able to get that little bit out & it will be even better
  20. FLHTbiker

The V&H pipes I put on it are pretty free flowing and will keep playing with it till she's right.