1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Decisions Decisions

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Sep 7, 2014.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I have been finally able to get out and test ride the new 2015 Road Glide. After much anticipation for this bike after the MoCo shut it down for a model year, I have to say that I have mixed feelings about what they have come up with.

Here are my thoughts of the new Road Glide. To begin, I will break down the styling. I have to give this bike an A+ in this category. I like how the front end looks like it has a mad scowl due to the angle change of the headlights paired with the two side vents. At first I did not like it all as I had said that I thought that it squared off the side view and didn't seem fit, however, after looking at the front end for a long time when I first looked at it, I grew quickly to appreciate the effort that HD did.

Next thing that I thought was an interesting change are the pull back handle bars. Again, I am just not a fan of this style of bars but an usually pretty open to change. From a styling stand point, I give this change a B+. I am just not a fan, even though I understand that most people believe that they made this change to appeal to the shorter rider.

From there, lets move on to the fairing. HD narrowed the fairing a total of three inches which I thought was interesting and does completely change the overall look. I don't have much to say about this change here because they maintained the most important part of the fairing, which of course that it is still frame mounted. I will talk more about the fairing when I get into the ride aspect of this thread. Other things that I noticed were that HD decided to eliminate 2 of the previous 4 gauges that were mounted in the inner fairing. The gauges that they kept were the fuel and the voltage gauge. HD opted to put the oil pressure and Air temp gauge linked to the Infotainment System. More on that later. I guess this is a matter of preference but I like the 4 gauge system in the inner fairing so I can more easily monitor a vital aspect of the bike. Being able to see oil pressure easily is very important to me. I just do not like the idea of having to scroll though pages of electronic stuff in order to see what my oil pressure is. In that amount of time to find it in the infotainment system, and there is something not right, it could be too late. One last observation on the fairing. I really do not like how HD changed the glove box and now have them opening up from the bottom instead of the top. Along with that, they mad those pockets just a tad bit too deep.

As far as the rest of the bike goes, I really do not care for the "star wars" style air cleaners that they use for the new bikes. Just makes them look a little too space ship like for my taste. I prefer something a little more traditional. The seat here I think is a home run. I love the scalloped look and it does sit the rider down comfortably. Not sure how Hot Rider would like the passenger seat though. I really like the new bag latching system. They eliminated the latch that lifts up but they kept the look giving the impression that it is still there.
  2. JohnnyBiker

I was disappointed in the HD opted not to just go ahead and put all LED lighting on this bike. In my opinion, using any non LED lighting on this bike does noting but cheapen the overall appeal of this bike.

Now, for the ride. Overall I really liked it, I don't have much to compare it to but I did feel that I was riding on rails. From my understanding, the new 49mm front end is supposed to be superior. In this case, I would have to just plead ignorance as I don't have anything real solid to compare to. A lot of people complain about the limited travel that HD's touring bikes have in the suspension, unfortunately, I wasn't in any conditions to test that so I will say it was a home run for me. I did not like the fact that because of the larger front end that they used a smaller front tire, however I do think that will be a non factor if I were to buy one.

I did not try to play with the Infotainment during my ride as I was more concerned with other aspects of the bike. Not sure how I will like having the cruise moved over to the left either. I liked that there is joystick operate the radio.

Back to the handlebars. I thought that they were really comfortable while riding and at stoplights but when it came to low speed tight turning, I absolutely hated them.. Those would have to go!

I guess I was left with a feeling of uncertainty that I would buy one of these. Sure, I can change things around but that is just more expense. I finished my ride thinking that I think that I want a soft tail. LOL I am thinking about finding one to rent for the day and see if that changes my mind. Time will tell.
  3. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Your idea about renting one for a day or two is a step many more buyers should do before any majpr vehicle purchase. It gives you a chance to test it how it will be used in your own life with no pressure from a salesman. And at what they cost nowadays new, you should not have to change anything after the purchase. I like how the new FXDL Low Rider has some adjustments possible in the ergonomics.
  4. JohnnyBiker

Yeah. Even though I have the wife's go ahead I still am not going to be compulsive. Just underwhelmed at this point.
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Ok let me add something hear that may help you. You do not have to go through the info center to read your oil pressure and out side air temp. There is a switch on the right side bar controls. It's right at the same switch as the turn signal. You just switch it on with the flick of your thumb and there is a digital reading for both air temp and oil pressure that shows up on the info center panel. It stays on until you manually switch it back. The outside air temp seems to be fairly accurate now. As I stated the oil pressure is a digital display on the dash info center. It's pretty cool. What they didn't do that I wanted was engine oil temp. On that same display there is also a way to enable or easily disable the rear cylinder cut-out when hot at idle.
    The info center after you use it is pretty straight forward. I think even CB could learn it :D
    I will say that I have found the new front end and rear shocks are rock solid. I did not find any wallowing like I did in my 2012 CVO. Personally Johnny I think you would like it.
    I did a long hard ride with mine today crossing over two sections of the Cascade MTN range and it was 88F out today. The bike just ran flawlessly and very strong. I simply have no negatives to say about it. So far I'm very satisfied with the bike and its performance.
  6. JohnnyBiker

Good points. Think I still would like to rent one for a day so I can get a better feel for it. Another thing that I didn't mention was that believe it or not, I felt cramped. I felt that my knees were too high while resting on the floorboards. I then checked on my 01 when I got home. Same position, however I am way more comfortable on my 01. Weird.
  7. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Something's gotta be different . . .
  8. JohnnyBiker

Could still be the seat.
  9. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

LOL...I have an 04...Never understood the need for an air temp gauge on any bike..I'm out in the air...I know if it is hot, warm or cold...WTF...I replaced it with an oil temp gauge...
  10. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

For several years on the touring bikes there has been a air temp gauge on the dash. On older bikes that have them there was always a joke about how poorly they work. They picked up hot air from the engine area. The new ones are at lest seem to be much more accurate. I would rather they put in a oil temp reading instead of the air temp.
  11. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

12. joshbob

Although I am never concerned about any kind of temperature while riding my scooter, I can see the need for the oil temp gauge on the bigger engined bikes, especially with wind blocking fairings and all the extra weight. Yes, I know the fairings have vents, but they still block a certain amount of wind and trap a certain amount of hot air.
  13. joshbob

Very likely. I hear they they make them thicker and softer every year to accommodate the ever growing average American fat ass LOL.
  14. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Yo! I represent your remarks!
  15. JohnnyBiker

Yeah I am pretty positive that I won't be pulling the trigger on a 2015. There are too many things that I do not like about it.

I have my eyes on two different bikes. Now just to decide on which one I want more. Lol