1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Demo Days

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Jul 12, 2008.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

One of the HD dealers had free food and demo days. Rode a springer 110 Se. It has a wide seat. I liked the bike it realy rode very, very good, I was impressed. Rode a Fat Bob, liked the handle bars and the bike rode good.

My wife has talked about a 1200cc Nightster. She demo's one. She said it was O.k. but rode pretty rough. Another lady and a dude rode it and said the same thing.
    Thought I'd love to have a 110 Ultra Screaming Eagle. Rode one, Its a nice bike and has all the Bells and Whistles, but I was not impressed. I like my Standard with the Woods cams better. Sorry,
    The bike I rode that everybody talks about that I didn't care for was the 105 anniversary V-Rod. It had a lot of power but I didn't like the ride at all and wouldn't like owning one.

Got all the bikes up to 80mph too.
    It was 99* Got hot and come to the air after that.

Know most folks don't thin about it , but demo day's is a great way to test ride bikes and see how they ride. I think its a great thing Harley Davidson does for their customers to give them a chance to see what different kinds of Harleys are all about.
  2. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

along with other brands to ompare to
  3. cardboard

What other brand ?

Only brand I'm interested in comparing it Harley's brand. :wtf:
  4. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

how did i know that was coming:banghead: that would be the correct response for most of us but i know that some folks out there are still working up to a quality american product:D
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Ya gotta give some credit to the metric folks, they keep pushing HD.

Without the bigger motors in the metric line we'd probably be riding 80 inch evos or still getting 88 inch twinkees with big ol expensive upgrades to make it run better.

Bud has a Yamaha Road Star, nice bike I rode it while SNS had my motor again. Smooth not a ton of power but it rode nice.
  6. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I led demo rides last year at the dealership. It is a good way to see what suits you. One of the things I found was that most of them were very hot on the right leg. The V-Rod has always been that way - you need full length boots to ride that thing. I love the ride though. It fits me perfectly. Wouldn't have it for an only bike though; maybe my third or fourth.

I agree with the Nightster. It's very cute, but every Sportster I rode was very rough and uncomfortable to me. I liked the Springer Screaming Eagle, but not as much as my own. The Road King Screaming Eagle was nice if you like touring models.

After all was said and done, there wasn't a bike in the bunch that I would have traded my FXST for - and that was before the 95" upgrade and the new cams.
  7. cardboard

The Springer Se rode nice and I ain't a softail dude. The FatBob rode better than I imagined. I was gonna demo a SE Road King but it broke down. I was gonna demo the Cross Bones. I had too much going on and got too hot.

My wife said the handle bars and seat would have to be changed out on the nighster and she could ride it. She likes the Mini Ape bars.
    She was saying her new helment was not fittin right. I told her she was running over 70mph and wasn't use to riding from behind a fairing that's why it was blown sideways on yer head.
  8. nightster09

nightster09 New Member

my wife and I just got two nightsters. they ride a little rough, but not too bad in my opinion. I have been looking at Mustang saddles to exchange the factory seat with. something to think about if your wife is seriously considering the XL1200N. The mini ape hangers look sick with this bike, i would love to put those on mine.
  9. cardboard

MY OL wants a Nighster, Seen a seat on one at the Woodlands HD in service that was very wide and had nice paddin. She also wants the mini ape bars.
    Don't know when she will break down and git one oh !
  10. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I think this would be a cool Sporty

Take the nightster, drop the suspension to configure it to the Low. Add a comfortable wide seat (maybe King and Queen if you want to ride 2 up a lot). Push the foot controls forward, and add some ape bars. A custom fuel tank might also add something, including range.

It is the kind of Sporty I'd like. I might get one at some stage, I have the Softail but I also need a bike (or car) for work, and I am sure not going to use the Softail Custom, every day, in London, through winter, the rain, snow, salt and grit on roads, left at times on front line housing estates, and so forth. Currently I use a 2005 650 Dragstar for this, it serves the purpose, and is actually a fairly good ride.
  11. cardboard

R U Sure you want to drop a Nightster any lower than it it. Its the lowest spoorster now.
  12. nightster09

nightster09 New Member

at 23.5in, I would have to agree, the Nightster is the lowest sportster in the line-up. There are many folks out there talking about how its not too hard to drag the foot peg on a curve because of the lack of ground clearance. Nice bikes, but there are definetly some drawbacks, as it goes with any bike. For me being 5'6", and not much over 130lbs dripping wet it suites me perfectly. I can easily plant my feet on the ground, and the controls are no problem at all. Again, its an HD, so the customization limit is only the owners wallet or credit card limit. V&H short shots in flat black are a must.
  13. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

From HD site - 2009 models
    Seat height, Nightster 676mm
    Seat Height Sporty 1200 low 668mm
    Which yeh, ok, is a whopping great 8mm difference :)

I did not realise the Nightster is that low, is such a good starting point. I agree with the V&H short shots in black.
  14. TM103

TM103 Active Member

26.6" VS 26.3" for us Eng guys.
  15. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Erm, I am English :D :D :D

And the measurements in metric were on a USA site, the HD site. That metric stuff is catching, next they will be listing the engine capacity in cubic centimeters.
  16. TM103

TM103 Active Member

They already do Ashley.:)
  17. cardboard

Not meanin to mess this thread up, but I went to git some eye glasses, Told the lady I wanted to have the bical focal's moved down 1/8 of a inch, she said what's a 1/8 of a inch. I said 1/8 of a inch is 1/8 of a inch. She said she didn't know 1/8 of an inch, she only knows Millimiters and cinameters that they were more exact. I said lady are you trying to git all the old folks to want to load their shotguns with Rock salt. How do you git that the MM is more exact.
    If you want more exact go to 64th of an inch. How exact do you need to go.
    If people could do fractions.

I ain't changin to mm, CM or whatever comes after that.:banghead:
  18. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Going to daytona biketoberfest and will hit the demos, got to get there early because the touring lines will be loaded

cinameters - is that a new gum or a small sticky bun? (sorry I just can't help myself)

I'm ok with Metric, tired of fractions and counting the little friggin marks on the measuring tape, it's easier to do metric than sae,

gheez I remember the Metric revolution that started way back in grade school, yes we had lights, water and tile floors at my grade school....

Remember they said it wouldn't be long the Metric system would take over in the USA..

Maybe it's gonna be one of the changes we get from O'bamma....:roflmao:
  19. 1JITSU1

1JITSU1 New Member

HI EVERYBODY
    Anybody going to YORK this month the 25-27
    I here there will be alot of bike to try
    and the softale factory will be open
    1 JITSU 1
  20. cardboard

Is it hard readin those little lines and breakin em down ?