1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Depressurizing Fuel System

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Devolution, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Devolution

Devolution New Member

Hey Guys, I just made a rookie mistake. This is my first fuel injected bike. I have a 08 Heritage and I bought a 16" ape hanger kit prewired brake lines and cables from Hill Country. I took the old handle bars and controls off the bike before depressuring the gas tank. Now I am ready to run the new throttle cables and because I am used to a carbed engine I thought it would be a snap to remove the tank to get to the connections and cables. Then the thought occured to me that I have the fuel injection and rather than risk turing my Father's day project into a fire ball I knew I needed to depressurize the fuel. I with the throttle grip and controls off the bike and the fuel pump fuse pulled I tried starting the bike and it wouldn't start. Is there another way to depressurize the tank? How much fuel actually sprays out if you just pull the line?
    thanks for the help.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

the line from the tank is similar to a quick disconnect air lline fitting. you just pull the outer ring back and the line will pull from the tank. both sides have a checkball so the amount of fuel lost is nearly 0......hope this helps. a better tool for working on your bike is the factory service manual......
  3. Devolution

Devolution New Member

Thanks Chuck. I have the shop manual but was so excited to have my new bars, I mocked it up without reading my manual first (DOH!).
  4. chucktx

have fun with it, dont forget to post up some pics!!!
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Opening the filler cap will release any tank pressure, however it's not necessary, as Chuck said just pop off the fuel line.

You will loose fuel from the front crossover, remove one side and fuel will come out of the hose and open end. JMO it's a PIA but it has to be done.

You can take some small vice grips and clamp the hose then pull it off, to stem flow
    then put your finger over the open hole the hose comes off.
  6. chucktx

oops........ forgot about the crossover. thanks hrk
  7. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Yep that cross over can be a pain in the asss. A hose clamp off tool is good on the hose and a second short hose already plugged at the end then insert it on the end with your finger on it. Might also want to put a hose clamp on the short hose to keep it from being pulled off accidentally.
  8. Devolution

Devolution New Member

Thanks guys. I got the tank pulled and wired up the handle bars, routed the throttle cables and attached the new clutch cable and brake line. I have a few bugs to work out in the hand controls, problably a pinched wire, but I'm good to go. The Hill Country handle bar kit is really the way to go it came with everything I needed except time and fluids. I will be posting picts soon. Thanks for all of the help, you guys are great.
  9. hotroadking

Yeah its not that difficult just time consuming

Did you run the wires internally in the bars or just outside.
  10. hotroadking

Yeah its not that difficult just time consuming

Did you run the wires internally in the bars or just outside.
  11. chucktx

looks like ya picked up an echo hrk!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol lol
  12. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

nah, just his finger is stuttering.
  13. hotroadking

i dunno what happened

i dunno what happened
  14. Devolution

Devolution New Member

Hey HotRoad, the kit from Hill Country comes pre-internal wired, it pretty slick. all I did was tell them what model/year and risers and they shipped everything in the correct length. here's a couple of pictures after installation.

Attached Files:

15. chucktx

looks good!!! nice job!