1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Detailing

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by BikinDave, Mar 19, 2009.

1. BikinDave

BikinDave New Member

Hey Everyone,

Would like suggestions to help with detailing the bike. Especially tips on best prewash cleaners, and bug/tar removers. Along with any tips to speed up cleaning time so I can get back to ridin quicker.

Bd:cool:
  2. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Check out Honda's Spray and shine from your local dealer. Washin the bike is down time and this stuff works without washing - just a simple lite spray - buff it out with a soft cloth and your ridin.
    For the wheels - get a narrow soft brush to get into the spoke area and some wheel brightener. Once again no washing - just spray -scrub and wipe dry.
    Takes about 20 minutes to a hour and your bike is ready to put in the breeze.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

washing/detailing......a bike???? people do that stuff??????? the more bugs, the bigger the badge of honor!!!!!!!!!!! lol lol
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I need to wash mine

Find it'a great way to find parts that need replaced, tightened or Missing

I use the Mr. Clean Autodry system, Target, Wal-Mart or most autopart places. It has a snap in filter that eliminates water spots from hard water, and the soap sprayer works great,

Another advantage it the bike drys itself, it's soap formula just drys up, no towels etc.

Maybe take the blower to a few bits like the controls and little areas where water can stand but by and large it's the bomb and cheap..

I use black Ice polish as the bike is black and that stuff doesn't give a white sheen on flat parts like normal wax
    I've used liqui-tek, mcquires, turtle etc they are all good and should be done at least monthly if you ride alot, helps keep the bugs at bay

Now for bugs, got the cure all for hard work

Pick up a box of generic dryer sheets.
    wet the windshield and one of the sheets
    gentley wipe the windshield (not like a baby but don't scrub like you are getting tar out of your skin with a pumice stone)
    It will flat take off every bug, no scratching, and your bike will smell spring fresh!
  5. chucktx

actually i do wash my bike once in a while.....put the card in one of the automatic washers, pull the bike in, wait 5 minutes and violia!!!!!!! cleaned and waxed!!!!!!!!
  6. hotroadking

I am guessing around the time of your quarterly personal bath needs LOL
  7. BikinDave

BikinDave New Member

Hey Tex,

Let me know what kinda look you're goin for and the appropriate bugs to match! Will try to save some for ya.

Bd
  8. steveb

steveb Active Member

I use the Mr Clean Auto wash to wash it up and one of those Mini Blasters to blow dry the bike. With this equipment I can wash and dry my bagger in 45Min. from start to finish.
  9. chucktx

you got it!!!!!! hell, sometimes i even leave my clothes on!!!!!:)
  10. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

Chucktx can verify how often I wash MY bike........
  11. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Problem with cleaning your bike that may have been posted before?......I own a self serve car wash and more than a few times I have been ask to educate bike riders about the dangers of high pressure on electrical connectors on your bikes.....can cause what we call bugs and other problems......let the presoaks do the work and rinse with low pressure......If you have problems it might take some time to find and dry out the connectors.....The few that has problems had a hard time finding and correcting it....good luck

I use Plexus if my bike is just dusty.....Made for the aircraft industry (windshield) but, work great on bugs and shines great!! also gets rid of water spots on paint and crome.....When bike is dirty I wash and blow dry...then plexus..bugs don`t stick.........

"May be bug and some of you mugs, but, they ain`t no bugs on Me" ;)
  12. hotroadking

TMI
    TMI
    TMI!:roflmao:
  13. chucktx

i really like plexus.....keep a can in the bag......be sure to use a soft cloth!!
  14. 99rk

99rk New Member

Detailing - keeping your Gas Guage waterfree

I just finished my day's 'detailing' and ended up with a foggy gas guage (1999 Road King Standard). Any ideas how to get the moisture out of the gas guage?:witsend: :witsend:

Thanks guys!
  15. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I use a product called Show Time and it is the best cleaner polisher period. Puts the Honda polish to shame. Check it out the stuff works better than anything I've ever seen.

Welcome to Lazy Hog!

By the way the gal that is in the picture is the distributor for it and she is also the one I told you all about that crashed 2 years ago and almost died. She made it back and took her almost 2 years of hard rehabilitation to get there and shes back to riding. Bought herself a Crossbones.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  16. chucktx

my 06 does the same. the dealers said it is normal, and warranty would not cover it unless the gauge doesnt work. the way i get it to defog is to put it in the wind. it does clear up..............
  17. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Must be common.....I have a couple that fog up...like you said best way to dry out is to ride.....
  18. steveb

steveb Active Member

I had a '05 Dyna that fogged up. to get it to clear up i would park it out in the sun when I went to work and it would be gone by the time I went home at the end of the day.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  19. 99rk

99rk New Member

Foggy Gas Guage

Men!
    Thanks for the replys.. I rode this weekend and forgot all about it - the fog was magically GONE!.. It was a riding MIRACLE! ;)

Wide well!
  20. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Yep my 03 E glide does it as well & HD says it's normal so been wind drying it for some years now :D