1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Didn't go to Galveston

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Goose, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Goose

Goose New Member

http://www.galveston.com/webcams/thestrand/home.htm

Strand cam to keep up with things. As I type this, looks wet. But, must just be spotty cause it's clear here, and warm, temps in the 80s.

I'm messing with an oil cooler. I wanna run it at the Baytown short track next Sunday. It's for a GS500, ebayed it for 15 bucks or something. It's got one messed up fitting, stripped threads, but I drilled it and tapped it for my application, on a stroker 150cc Honda XR thumper. Gotta go buy another fitting and a U bolt or two to mount it up, finish the tubing. Should be functional, if not beautiful. :D If I get it fitted up with light left, I'll take a picture. I'm debating on rather to mount it lengthwise or across the downtube. I'm thinking lengthwise, while it won't be as clean looking, will protect it from crashes a lot better. Think that's how I'll do it.
  2. CD

CD Guest

Hmm, Think I'll go shoot at some old computers with my M1 and AR15. I'll pretend they are certain "distributors" :D
  3. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I didn't go either

25.7 degrees c at 7:30 in the morning? Sheesh!!! ..I just got home from work..it's minus 7 here. I ain't thinking about an oil cooler..I'm thinking about a block heater and first tracks..looks like riding is just about done here.
  4. Goose

Goose New Member

My $30 oil cooler. Turned out kinda neat! At least it works, no leaks. I mounted it lengthwise to keep it from getting road rash in a crash. Lines are on the right away from the track in a low side. I don't think the bike actually NEEDS it, but it looked kinda stupid with it fitted for a cooler and just a line running in a loop on the fittings. Everyone kept asking, "WHAT'S THAT FOR?! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

well goose, im glad the oil cooler worked out for ya........but ya missed one hell of a party!!!!! we started the day at stubbs for the ranch ride to the island. got there and they had burittos for breakfast, a good band to listen to, a neat auction for babes that needed rides to the island( if ya had the cash ya had a babe on your scoot..). the police and sheriffs blocked all traffic and on ramps from stubbs to the end of the ride at the old ballinisie room on the seawall. we were within the first 150 bikes or so of the ride. i could see the front of the pack just every once in a while when we were on a high overpass. i never could see the back of the pack. after about an hour we arrived at the island and parked the bike and waited for the end of the pack.....it took about 20 or so minuted for the last bike to pass. i dont have any numbers yet, but there was a ton of bikes, and we were traveling at 55/60 mph, until we hit the island. the police blocked the outside two lanes for us....way cool. i have some ride pics and will post later. the ralley on the island was a lot bigger than last year, and a lot better orginazied. it did rain a bit but was sproadic and light. if ya'll get the chance to go, do so, the people and partys were great.....
    chuck
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

So Bob, what is -7 C in real language.
    It as 45 degrees F. here today and went for a 4 hour ride. Even rained a couple of times otherwise it would not have felt like Oregon.
  7. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

gosh there was a time where I'd know that right off hand..we used the fahrenheit scale for most of my schoolin' then low and behold we went metric. 32 degrees F is zero C..minus 7 C is about 20's F...getting a bit on the cool side..good for snow though..and it's gonna be quite a bit cooler next week.
  8. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

missed it also

I also was unable to attend....not cuz I didn't want to tho!!! :rolleyes: I had to work....ended up working 12 hour shifts on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.....NICU is going pretty good...done with all the classroom, now only have another week and a bit and I will be done with the 12 week class....then I will be "on my own", but thankfully, they don't expect me know know it all and I will have LOTS of backup!!! :cool: San Anotnio is FINALLY becoming pleasant to ride in (weather wise), tho the cagers are still worthy of being targets on a rifle range......had one the other morning that wanted to put a HD emblem on his trunk....I just didn't feel that me putting my bike on his trunk would make MY bike look all that good....cheap a$$ piece of car anyway......my bike was worth more then his car.....twice over in my opinion!!! Hope those of you that made it to the rally had a great time, and maybe even had a beverage (of your choice) for me!!! :D
  9. Goose

Goose New Member

Well, I sorta hinged it on whether you were going to make it or not. Didn't really wanna ride down there on my own. Next weekend is a full plate, anyway. I'm riding up to the reliant center in Houston for the motorcycle show, got a press pass and free parking for motorcycles, so why not! Even gas is down to $1.99.9 here, though it's higher out of town.

I'll ride back home Saturday night, going to Baytown Sunday to flat track, well, depending on weather. Long term weather channel forecast looks a bit pessimistic. But, hell, I can forecast the weather with a deck of tarot cards better than those idiots. :rolleyes:
  10. dinosdeuce

dinosdeuce New Member

$1.99....holy sh!t. I paid 2.79 for gas and $3.09 for diesel a couple of days ago. Send a tanker my way for the land locked :D :D Oh yea I forgot we have the mountains and snow to play in :)

Dino
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Well, regular here in the Portland area is down to $2.29.9 a gallon with premium at 2.52.9 and diesel at 2.89.9 per gallon. Hey, Bob that's better than the 5.00 a gallon we saw at that one station heading back from home.

My new Ultra is only getting 36 MPG right now, hope it gets better after its broke in and after I open up the air cleaner. :confused:

I was on a ride Sunday with the Hog chapter and that new gas gauge, when it hits 1/2 it means fill me up NOW as it drops like a rock after that. Had to pull off from the group to get gas and at 170 miles it took 4.94 gallons, not good. :mad:
  12. Goose

Goose New Member

My van is like that, but it holds a lot more gas. Filling that thing up at three bucks a gallon takes a personal loan from the bank! :rolleyes: I can half way afford to drive the thing some, now. Taking it to Baytown Sunday to do some flat tracking. That's a good thing cause I need 90 bucks worth of head gaskets to get the wing back on the road again. Been putting it off. Also have the hots for a new helmet. Man, I need money!

Funny thing, though, I keep getting work. Normally it falls off in the winter, no grass to mow or trim. I do small engine work. But, I'm also doing farm tractors. Just got done with a big job on a John Deere 20/30 and I'm about done with a rebuild of an old Ford three cylinder diesel, so I'll have that new lid and the Wing on the road soon! Might even have a decent Christmas this year if the work keeps coming. :D