1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Dieseling / Lifter chatter

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by wblanton, Aug 25, 2008.

1. wblanton

wblanton New Member

How serious is Dieseling and lifter chatter other than annoying me to death?
    My bike just started about 500-1000 miles ago. Not too bad when solo but 2 up sounds terrible. I do most work on my bike myself but have been afraid to go into the engine. I have changed out the starter, pulled the clutch basket, oil changes, things like that but the engine scares me. Is this a difficult repair? What could be the cause? I have looked in the manual but it doesn't seem very clear on a possible cause. It list several things to check but not really how to check them.

The bike is a 99 Fatboy. 27000 miles. Last of the evo's not twin cam.

Thank you for any advice you can give.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

here is a little light reading on dieseling gas engines

So basically your motor wants to keep running after it's turned off, so assuming the electronics are really off and it's not getting any spark from the coil, the hot piston tops are probably lighting off some fuel.

I also figure you have a carb bike?

So I would pull off the carb and clean it out and make sure it's closing all the way (might want to do that before you pull it off, if the carb isn't closing all the way it can pull in fuell and continue to run)

You shouldn't have to go into the motor yet.
  3. ruffrider11

ruffrider11 New Member

I would try a different brand of gasoline and may be a higher octane :confused:
  4. wblanton

wblanton New Member

Hotroadking,

Thanks for the reply. I think i may have communicated my problem incorrectly. My bike doesn't keep running after it is turned off. I am getting a lot of lifter chatter on acceleration, especially when riding 2 up, or even going up slight hills without downshifting. So I put dieseling because it sounds like my diesel work truck. clatter clatter clatter! It probably isn't load enough for anyone off of the bike to hear but sounds loud to me.
  5. wblanton

wblanton New Member

Ruffrider,

I already run 93 octane. I have tried several different stations. I have always ran 93 and this is a relatively new problem. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

What gear you in and how fast are you going when you hear the noise??
  7. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Sounds to me like "pre-ignition", one of the causes of "pinging". The other is detonation which sounds the same but the cause is different. And I see you're down there in South Carolina, where it do tend to get a bit toasty ;-)}

If the carb is not jetted/adjusted correctly and/or if you've got leaky valve seals (fairly common problem) then over time you'll get carbon build-up on the spark-plugs, piston tops, valves & combustion chambers. Especially when the weather's hot & you're riding 2-up, those deposits will get to glowing red hot on the compression stroke & ignite the mixture before the spark-plug fires. If carbon build-up is indeed the problem (I'll bet it is) & you don't solve it, you'll end up burning the edges off the valves & blowing holes in the top of the pistons.

What do the spark-plugs tell you? You can see evidence of carbon build-up on them pretty quick. And you can blow it out of the engine pretty easy too, with spray Gumout carb cleaner, auto transmission fluid in a squirt can, or even water in a spray bottle. When the engine's completely warmed up, pull the air-cleaner & spray any of those 3 thru the carb with one hand & tweak the throttle with the other so the engine doesn't die. With a free-flowing exhaust, bits of carbon will come flying out & with ATF you'll smoke up the neighborhood too, but it also lubes the valves nicely & it's loaded with detergents.

Don't go crazy with it or rev the heck outta the engine, but that'll loosen up carbon deposits & blow 'em out. Once you've got the engine cleaned up inside you can set about tuning it so it doesn't carbon up again. Although if it is bad valve seals, those will have to be replaced or it will do it again. You may be able to tell if it's too much gasoline or too much oil by the spark-plugs, but it could be both. Blow the carbon out then put in a new set of plugs & check them after 100 miles or so.
  8. wblanton

wblanton New Member

Lucifer,

Usually 3rd, 4th, 5th. and between 45-60 mph.
  9. wblanton

wblanton New Member

Art,

I jetted the carb last winter with the kit sold on this site. Before it was way over jetted and the plugs were black and sooty. Since jetting the carb following the dirrections with the kit,the bike has run much better. I changed the plugs about 2 months ago and they were a little chalky, which i had been told is how I want them. However if you put your finger in the end of the pipes it is still black and sooty.

That was a lot of good info in your post and I will definately try that this weekend. Hopefully it will work. I called the Harley shop to get a rough estimate on them fixing it and it was over $500 on the low end and close to $1000 on the high end. Plus a month wait. Way more than I can afford and way longer than I would like to wait. I ride almost everyday, my other ride is a jeep that gets a whopping 15mpg.
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

OK missunderstood, other than the recent carb modificiations have you done anything else to the bike?
  11. wblanton

wblanton New Member

Hotroad,

At the same time I done the carb work I added a Arlen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner. Other than that just a new starter and an oil change. SAE 50 Penzoil.
    No other mods.
  12. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I was thinking you may have been lugging the engine a bit, accelerating with the revs to low for the gear you're in.
    I'd go with what Art says and clean er up inside, could be a combination of carbon built up and a little lugging, with ambient temps on the hot side,carbon and low revs,could be causing the spark knock.
  13. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I love cleaning carbon out of an engine. Give it to me. I'll do it for free :D

My method of course is Wide Open Throttle to as fast as you can handle it and for as long as you can handle it. Should be clean as a whistle after that.:D
  14. WildWindwalker

WildWindwalker New Member

Have you ever adjusted your chain for slack in your primary. If your bike is running good other than the noise, then this will probably be your problem. If it is not running well and you have noticed any power loss, then it could be your lifters and cam. Whatever it is you need to fix now, because fixing later could be expensive.:eek: If you have a digital camera, you could take pics as you break it down, then if you can't finnish right away you will have pics to help you put it back together. Good luck with however you handle it. Keep the shiney side up and the rubber to the road.;)
  15. wblanton

wblanton New Member

I checked the primary chain when I replaced the starter last month. It seemed to be how the manual says it should be. I have no doubt that he noise is coming from the top end of the motor. I am hoping the suggestion on cleaning the inside works. I will find out this weekend and post on here what happens.
  16. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Its from what you describe its pinging, simply put the bike is running to lean. Can be caused by many things but its not good for that condition to continue. Better check the ignition system and fuel as a place to start.
    Try a different gas station if you have always filled up at the same place.
  17. wblanton

wblanton New Member

Art,

I tried the Gumout carb cleaner and it is a little better. There is still pinging but not a severe as there was before. I may try one more treatment. Thanks for the info.
  18. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

If you get a lot of carbon build-up over time you'll want to do it more than once, but if you get some improvement each time & the spark plugs are looking good, you can usually clean the combustion chambers & piston tops up pretty good without pulling the heads. Then you want to determine what caused the build-up in the 1st place & double-check the timing too.