1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

difference with motors

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by troy boy, Sep 10, 2004.

1. troy boy

troy boy New Member

Hi again,I was just trying to figure out what the difference is between a shovel head,a knucklehead,a panhead and ironhead.Is there a major difference between the engines or are they similar.Also what are the usual problems to look for with each of the motors if i were looking to buy one.
    Hope someone can help.
    Cheers
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2004
  2. CD

CD Guest

A lot of things different, a lot the same. 45ยบ V-Twin, 2 cylinder air cooled, with low pressure, high volume oiling. Principle differences are the cylinder head design, barrells and displacement. The Knuckle has the most differences while the Pan and Early Shovel (through 69) are very similar. The '70 and later Shovels are referred to as Nose cone style instead of Generator style. This is due to the cam being in a cone on the right case rather than the generator style where the cams lived behind the flat cam cover. A lot of nostalgia builders are now utilizing reproduction Knuckles, Pans etc as it goes with the Chopper craze. There are other similarities and differences and I would suggest getting a book that discusses the engine line.
  3. troy boy

troy boy New Member

Thanks CD for the brief info.Is there a specific book on the motors that you know of that i should look for as the best reference etc.
    Cheers
  4. usahellas

usahellas New Member

Check out HD online

now forgive me for butting in where I am not needed, but have you checked the history section of harleydavidson.com? Go to the USA site and products then engines. Hall of engines. There will not be everything you need to know there but a start. There are so many books about HD and motors if CD does not have anything try searching Amazon. There are not a lot of MAJOR differences in the motors but with each motor there were a few changes for the better. At least that is the way I see it.