1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Differences between 883 and 1200 Stage 1 CVP tuner kit?

Discussion in 'CVP Stage 1 Tuners Kit' started by NeilP, Nov 20, 2009.

1. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Hi

I have just ordered
    CVP Tuners Kit Stage 1, (Model 04-06 883), a V-Ductor, a Hiflow Inlet and a EZ-Just Idle adjuster for my stock 883 04 Sportster

But this morning I have just bought a 1200cc barrel and piston conversion kit from a bloke in the Harley store who was selling his bike, He had bought the kit for his 05 883 Sportster, then decided to sell the bike. The kit is just barrels and pistons, re using the original heads.

Will it just be different jets for the CVP Tuners Kit or do i need a complete different kit? different slide and needle etc?

I would imagine the V-Ductor, a Hiflow Inlet and a EZ-Just Idle adjuster will be the same, just a change to the CVP Tuners Ki

I was also about to order a Big Sucker and find some different Slip ons...will all that be the same or do I need bigger filter kit and exhaust, or is the capacity of both items enough for the 1200 kit?

Sorry for all the questions on this board, but I am a total newbie to bike tuning, I have only ever ridden stock Japanese stuff in the past and never done any tuning to petrol engines in the past...more of a farm tractor diesel mechanic myself, this is all new territory

Cheers

Neil
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

keep the questons comming that's what it all about
    the carb kit should work , just double check the jet size for the 1200 v the 883 , On the heads i'am not sure if the stock heads will work , but if anything just the valve size will matter all the rest will work , you can do a search here as someone did the swap a while back & posted about it good luck
  3. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

I have sent an e-mail to the supplier, so hopefully they will tell me if I need different jets, and what they are.
    As for the heads, i wondered that, but I asked at our local HD dealer, and they said that yes, you do re use the 883 heads You could get different heads with bigger valves and that wold probably improve things again, but there is no problem using the standard heads. I'll probably give the ports a bit of a cleaning/polishing while the heads are off too.
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Hi Neil, I responded to your email and will take care of you regarding the additional jets and different needle.
  5. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Got the message ken thanks. Had not realised you were on here as well as supplying the parts. Thanks

Neil
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

ken has been instrumental in keeping bike talk alive....and a hell of a stand up guy!!
  7. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Yes he has, Thanks Ken....:D
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I'll second that , & thank's ken :cool:
  9. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

The BIG SUCKER breather will work fine - that's one less thing to worry about.
    Are you riding on the island or just working there?
  10. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

I'll order the |Big Sucker from Phil when he is back from hloiday at the end of the month.

I live on the island, but do try and get over to France when I can.

Jersey has over 500 miles of roadway, made up of over 1900 roads, and has among the highest level of cars per person in the world.

No 'cruising' riding, but lots of lanes, so perhaps a Harley is not the best for the island. Rarely get up above 3rd gear for any length of time, and first gear for town/traffic riding is just to fast, too highly geared, may have to think of changing the drive sprockets (pulleys), if that is possible.

Taken from:
    BBC - Jersey About Jersey - Introduction

It is the place where New Jersey got its name from.
    Google Maps.

although for two weeks I am a little further north on one of the other islands, Alderney
  11. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Sounds like a nice place; although I'm more into longer trips on the bike when I can.
    Was on OAHU last year and they have the same problem, 4 hours to go around the island but so many things to do and see it would take weeks to "get er done".:)
    Changing the sprockets might be a thought but you have watch the rpms close to aviod redlining. Course it would really spice up the hill climbing.
  12. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

That looks like a nice place..one day I may get there. Looks nice and warm.

RPMs..redlining.....that was going to be another addition...a tacho...but I can't do it all at once :(
  13. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Averages on OAHU - lows mid 70's - highs mid 80's - when it rains everybody just carries on as always -roads are never slippery due to the volcane stone they use on the road and the rain usuasly quits in 10 or 15 minutes.
    Adding a tach would be good idea - lot of people play it by ear after riding for a few seasons; but better safe that sorry, Right?
    Hows the weather over there? do ya get any snow or just storms in the channel. Was in that area with the Navy in the early 60's and got to experiance first hand a north sea storm. Only time I got sick from the ship rolling the whole time I was with it. Glad I had enough sense to get out and join the Army.
  14. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Well, I have seen snow in jersey that has stayed on the ground for more than a day or so...but only maybe three or four times in my lifetime... I am now 41.

It is due to the 'warm' water surrounding us. The North Atlantic Drift (current) sweeping up from your costline. We are on the same latitude (49degNorth) as Hudson Bay/James Bay in Canada.

Temperatures..in deg C...from around coldest generally 0-4 in winter, average winter 8-12...summer average 16-18 hottest 28 or 30 on rare occassions.